More 315R Showa Forks

bigbird 104

Hi all, sorry if this is a stupid question but, I'm giving my 2000 315 a full strip down rebuild. I've just rebuilt the forks with new bushes, seals, oil and a new rh fork tube. They all went back together fine but when I stood the forks next to each other, the compression fork seems a couple of inches longer than the rebound fork. Is this normal?

This is the first time I've worked on a fork setup like this and I've never noticed this before.

There is definitely something wrong. I haven't personally worked on a set of 315r forks, but I imagine they are like most cartridge forks. They should be the same length. I would check that something hasn't been assembled wrong in the compression circuit. :thumbup:

Yeah 2000 was the first year of the Showa. The only picture of the Showa forks I've seen, the compression fork is shorter than the rebound! Then it also depends what position the stanchion is in when I put the cap on the compression fork :(

I'm even wondering if the stanchions were different lengths and I've mixed them up somehow but I'm sure I haven't.

I've done loads of normal forks in the past but nothing like this.

Yes Just done mine and waiting to fit on the bike. the fork with the damper in (no spring) is shorter at rest and can be pulled up to the same length as the spring fork. With them on the bike the spring in the other side will pull the rebound fork up.

Hope this helps. Craig.

Hi all

Just about to service my Showa forks, does anyone have a anything to add/remove/suggest to the list of the parts that should be replaced as part of the service.

I was thinking :-

Oil

Oil seal

Dust seal

Centre bolt sealing washers

Right leg fork bolt o'ring

I see in the manual it mentions 2 specific tools are they both a necessary purchase before carrying out the service.

Fork damper holder

Fork Seal Driver

Any thoughts.

Cheers

Moggster

When I did mine I changed dust and oil seals and both teflon coated bushes. Oh and oil obviously. As for the tools, I needed them but I wouldn't recommend buying them. I used a bolt welded on to a home made T-bar and a piece of tube with castellations cut in to it.

Thanks Big Bird

I can find mention in the manual of 3 bushes, Guide bushes, Slider Bushes and Fork Bushing, although I think 2 of those are the same thing possibly. ..

Did you do the back up rings as well.

Cheers

Edited by the_moggster