Which Bike Again - Sorry But My Requirements Are Unusual

totty79

I fitted a LiPSE (Light Pull Smooth Engagement) Spring fromJack's cycles in the USA. It was for a Pro and the weight of the spring was tailored to the bike & my weight. Great service - he threw in a gasket and a GG keyring too! Just Google 'lipse spring gas gas'. Although this will not reduce clutch usage it will significantly lighten the clutch action.

The consensus seems to be lighten clutch, detune bike, change gearing, change technique.

When it comes to choice of bike it doesn't look so easy as recommendations cover quite a range, I guess I need to try some.

I'll also look into the suggested remedies.

I'm reluctant to spend much more time or money on my current bike as I'd like something lighter.

I've just scuffed up the rear pads and disk and checked the postons move freely. If I get time I might also remove two clutch springs before my next ride.

Edited by totty79

I've had another look at the rekluse clutch and it would be ideal but no trials models are listed. Has anyone come across anything similar for trials bikes?

Are there any clutch lightening kits like the LiPSE out there for other brands of bike?

Do any other brands use this diaphragm style spring or are they all multiple coil springs? (custom wound coil springs are fairly cheap to have made if removing a pair causes slip, but something like the LiPSE is more appealing than experimenting with springs myself.)

The tendons to the two fingers I used on the clutch on the 9th are still inflamed, I need to work on reducing clutch usage before I can risk competing again. I plan to try my 321 with a pair of springs removed next weekend - it already has what I'd consider to be a light clutch so I'm surprised it's causing this much of a problem, then again using a mouse is just as bad.

Edited by totty79

If the tendon issues in your hands is like carpel tunnel, you might want to try a taller handlebar or a set of Bar Risers. Just 13mm to 16mm rise can make a big difference depending on your stature. It will take some of the weight off your wrists and put it on the pegs (where it should be). There are a few negatives to a tall handlebar, but I don't think you're going to feel that unless you are riding at expert level doing spatters.

My carpel tunnels are apparently OK, but it could still be worth a try, using a mouse and keyboard designed for carpel tunnel sufferers has helped.

Lever position could also be a factor, before the trail I moved them from being very steep angled like \ to being nearer horizontal. This was in an effort to stop me weighting the bars, a bad habit from years of road riding - I'm comfortable with the back end sliding but like the front planted. Before this trial (and therefore before this change) My hands hadn't been this much of a problem on this bike, it's normally only the cable clutch on my CB550 that's a problem.

I've had another look at the rekluse clutch and it would be ideal but no trials models are listed. Has anyone come across anything similar for trials bikes?

that would be pretty cool! i fitted one to my FE570 due to middle aged fingers not coping with a lot of clutch work. pretty amazing what you can do in gnarly terrain with them. it would make little difference for experienced clutchmeisters but fantastic for us average joes in clubman.

anyway, no record of anyone ever fitting one to a trials bike. i reckon your only hope would be if the kits for the beta enduro bikes might fit the trials bikes too... but i can't help feeling they'd be completely different clutches. link below.

http://rekluse.mybigcommerce.com/beta-250-300-rr-2013-core-exp-3-0-auto-clutch/

I also think they'll be completely different, but I might see if I can find part numbers or dimensions to compare.

The old Honda c70 in the gallery would be a novel alternative, plenty of semi auto motors around for them.

If push came to shove most riders could get by without using the clutch in sections.

Up until about 83 every one rode without touching the clutch even at world level so not exactly club trial stuff.

A few years back my slave cyl blew before the start. and only one lad beat me, that normally wouldn't.

Lot of the old timers hardly touch the clutch.

Worth thinking about?

Edited by breagh