New 4rt

big dave

Just as a comparison I had a 2000 YZ426 from new and ran it for almost 3 years in enduro and hare and hound events, during which time it was used every 2 to 3 weeks. I also had supermoto wheels and used it on the road now and again. In that time it needed nothing replaced, just regular oil and filter changes. The motor was as strong when I sold it as when I first had it. The manual said change the piston every 3 races.....

I have a 4RT also and there is no way that will ever get the abuse in trials that my Yam got so I can't see any reason to change a piston every year (or equivalent number of hours)

:o

I can't see what all the fuss is about??

I'm not a great one for fiddling with a motor for the hell of it. My last ATV, a HONDA TRX300 lasted 11 years on only one oil change. Can anyone tell me if they have a filter??? That poor old work horse towed trailers, chased sheep (I said it chased sheep), barrel rolled and flipped down a F*&^ing big hill and worked hard for 1,000hrs and 10,000km. Ok it was stuffed at the end but that was not the lack of oil changes or piston replacement it was because all the steel bolts had welded themselves into the alloy.

Too much maintenance only rounds off nuts, strips threads and makes the wife complain you're always playing with your toys and not inside listening to her constructive views! Time to make up your mind..........is it the bike that needs your time or the wife????? :wall:

It must be the air in Australia that does it?????

BJDownunder

Rob W , Woody & Downunder

Thanks all of you for your advice regarding the servicing of the 4RT. :o

I haven't heard anything that would turn me off buying one , so what the heck , I think the time is getting near for the dealer to see the colour of my money , probably wait for the 06 model round mid sept :wall: .

Thanks again

alan.p

Didn't Honda announce that they were going 4-stroke across their entire product range, from bikes and cars to lawn strimmers and chainsaws couple of years ago? I don't think that the 4RT came about because of the FIM's original (now reversed) decision to enforce 4-strokes in the WTC, more it was introduced a year or so earlier than was already planned.

Didn't Honda announce that they were going 4-stroke across their entire product range, from bikes and cars to lawn strimmers and chainsaws couple of years ago? I don't think that the 4RT came about because of the FIM's original (now reversed) decision to enforce 4-strokes in the WTC, more it was introduced a year or so earlier than was already planned.

That was the general jist of what i'd herd, For some reson they don't like two strokes. I think that was why they where producing fourstrokes in the 80's when everybody else was 2 stroke. I vaguely remember them doing somthing similar in one of the road race classes when that class was dominated by 2 strokes.

Thats a rumour I've heard as well. If its true I wonder if Montesa HRC will take some type of legal action against the FIM. It must have cost a lot of money in R & D.

I would think it will be a bigger deal for Sherco and Scorpa if the FIM scrap the idea.

As you say it's a rumor!! but even if true I would still like to see one or two companies keep a fourstroke in production, time will tell, but the first year of production compares with first year of any new two stroke model in my opinion.

You either like them or you don't but it's what I enjoy riding, providing there is the option to buy them I wouldn't care if the rule was never enforced, because most will opt for the two stroke if given the choice.

I would take a guess that 99% of the people who have bought 4t s are not riding world champs

The rules would not affect them anyway

They buy them because they like them

I personally could not wait for the new breed to appear

Just look at moto gp it is even better now its all 4t

Honda will just keep developing and winning

when ducati started to beat them in super bikes what did they do

copy the duke and improve it (VTR)

then started winning again