My First Problem

thehighlander123

Hi All,

Was out for a while today and the bike cut out and would only start on the choke but barely run.

Got home and took the carb off and it was minging inside and so was the airfilter.

Cleaned both up and the bike started first kick but went to FULL THROTTLE. Once I got it off the checked the throttle and can hear it moving in the carb and all looks ok.

Any ideas?

There is 2 screws on the carb one larg one with a spring and a smaller one to the left. What are the settings for them.

Thanks in advance

Hello there.big screw sets the tickover,small one is to fine tune the mixture.(ballpark 2/3 turns out}

Both have to be set when the engine is warm.

Make sure the slide is closing completely before you start up again,it just needs to be open a wee bit and it will rev high.

Best advice I can give is speak to a pal who does trials and get him to look at it.

Where in Scotland are you?

Dude, buy a new kill switch. Maybe one with a lanyard ?

Sometimes after a carb rebuild the throttle cable can get pulled out at the bar end giving you those symptoms you describe. Before messing with the mixture and idle screws try refitting the carb and check the cable at both ends.

Also clean out the petrol tank and shot some fresh stuff in there, that filth that you found in the carb has to have come from somewhere. Maybe shove an inline filter on too.

There are NO stupid questions bud you either know or you don`t. :D