Rocks And Water... And Then More Rocks And Water

lamptramp

I've been really enjoying watching the daily video reports from the SSDT.

I've noticed a common theme covering all of the sections shown: Gnarly rocks and plenty of water.

As a matter of interest, are there any sections that aren't set in treacherous stream beds?

• Like 1

Hi lamptramp,

Remember that if you are making a video of an event there are several aspects to consider, like how easy it is to get yourself and your equipment to any section, what is the natural light like, can I get to a viewpoint that won’t be constantly blocked by spectators milling around - and then, can I get there soon enough to see the main bulk of the entry through.

So, in answer to your question, yes there are plenty of rocky streams and, indeed rivers to cross during the six days - but there are also energy sapping very steep hills that go on, then on a bit, then a bit more, then just when you are reaching your last gasp you round a hairpin and realise it goes on, and on, and disappears over the skyline - and it can feel to be miles away.........

Some of the sections have been used for years - I’m enclosing a photo taken forty-five years ago of the last gasp attempt by the British trials bike manufacturer, BSA, to create a bike to take on what was then a second Spanish Armada of Bultaco, Montesa and Ossa machines - the BSA Bantam, ridden here by Bonky Bowers in the 1969 Scottish. as you can see Bonky is not in a rocky stream but on a section known as Grey Mare's Ridge - then set yourself the task of finding why it is called 'Grey Mare's Ridge'...........

Enjoy - but try to come and see the real thing..........if that's not possible, watch TC for news of an interesting development that will give you the chance to learn a lot more about this famous event, as well as many of the other well known events around the country.............

post-19290-0-69675500-1399714296_thumb.jpg

Edited by laird387
  • Like 2

I've been really enjoying watching the daily video reports from the SSDT.

I've noticed a common theme covering all of the sections shown: Gnarly rocks and plenty of water.

As a matter of interest, are there any sections that aren't set in treacherous stream beds?

I was thinking the same thing and at the same time was impressed with the level of riding.

Things can go wrong so fast in a water filled slippery stream bed

• Like 1

I have done 12 or 13 ssd trials (lost count?) yes most of the sections are rocky stream beds but if the weather has been dry ish there wont be much water.

There are sections bases on rock slabs again stream based and as the photo above some are gravelly worn paths up steep hillsides.

I havent done the scottish for 12 or 13 years but the last two rides i carried an old 35mm compact camera with me to record the views we encounted on the route because to get to the top of some of the hills would take you forever on foot, it was a privilege to compete and i have a lot of good memories.

If you are considering having a go do so! Stephen.

• Like 2