Beta Gearbox Oil.

rhyds115

The owners manual sais 550ml but people put in 500ml I think you'll find.

The other thing that's bs in that bog paper is the fork oil measurement with spring in, its with spring out!

That's from the Beta uk site somewhere.

Good luck

If in doubt buy the specific stuff online or at a shop unless someone can tell you its suitable.

The putoline light gear oil ive used is about a £10 and ive been changing it about every 15 -20 riding hours, I had a motul-putoline cocktail in there for a while which didn't help the auto take off on the first pull away of the day that didn't happen once I used pure putoline!

The 15w/40 should be OK for a ride or two. But the clutch may drag a bit from cold

Oil viscosity is measured by weight, hence the W in 40w so 75w oil is actually thicker at temperature than the 15w/40. A multigrade oil acts like a thin oil when cold and a thick oil when hot. I.E in this case 15 weight Cold / 40 weight Hot.

I used to use Putoline 75w gear oil but have switched to 5w/30, Beta recommend 10w/30 oil.

You will find that the gear change is a lot smother with that than 75w gear oil.

Edited by p@ul250

thought gear oil had lead in it to withstand extreme pressure (as with meshing gears) while engine oil is designed to maintain viscosity at higher temperatures, it does not get thicker, at higher temperatures but does not get as thin as a "straight" oil would.....I may be wrong of course...it has been known!

Graychapel,

I don't state that it "Gets Thicker" I state the a 75w oil IS thicker at temperature than a 40w oil. The polymers in modern multi-grade oils counteract the thinning caused by heating allowing an oil to ACT like a thin 5w oil when cold and a 40w oil when hot.

Lead in gear oil? The point of highest pressure/stress in an engine has to at the big end bearing on the start of the power stroke. All the Power on one bearing with no reduction what so ever.

Beta recommend BARDAHL 10W30 oil for the Evo, which is basically the same engine as the Rev.

I have been using a high spec 5w30 as I find the clutch drags a bit less from cold. I have also found that gear changes are smother & more positive now than when I was running a 75w gear oil.

• Like 1