Trl200 Reflex: Size Compared To Others

scooterspal

Is the TLR200 Reflex about the same size as most other trials bikes?

That is, the wheel size, seat height, overall length, weight of the bike... is it more or less the same? I have read where some say it is too heavy.

Just wondering.

Edited by scooterspal

Yes.

Wonder no more.

Details can be found using SEARCH..

Seriously, your other post says you have been riding an XR80. A lot has moved on since the '80s, try and get a ride on a bike thats less than 5 years old sometime soon as that could really change your mind about what is light and fun to ride.

I spent a year rebuilding the TLR200 and I reallyi want to learn to ride her. Just wondering how it compares in terms of size and weight to other similar vintage bikes. I watch UK trials videos on youtube often and it's hard to for me to tell one from the other.

Old man riding an old bike. I'm fine with that.

Edited by scooterspal

When stripped for competition a standard TLR200 is pretty much the same weight as the other popular full-size twinshock trials bikes from the early 1980s.

Many people make their TLR200s lighter using different exhaust systems and fuel tank/seat arrangements.

As good as the TLR200 is, they are not the lightest-feeling bike of the twinshock era. The small Montesas, the TY175 and some TL125 specials I have ridden all feel lighter than even a lightened TLR200

They are a full-sized bike and are very similar in height and length to the other full-sized trials bikes of the early 1980s.

Reality is the TLR (Reflex) was a trail bike. It was never intended as a trials bike. It is worthless, but cool at the same time. This is the best thread on one. http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=562129 I may be in it, but a friend made it. I also ride with a guy that has 4 grand in one, it looks totally cool. I always beat him with my beater Cota 200. Why? The Montesa was a REAL trials bike. Have fun with it. I`ve hade three of them, and would buy another. ( Just for a trail bike)

Edited by lineaway

stripped down i dont think theres that much between a std fantic 200 and the tlr.. geomtry is a bit lazy on the honda but it was a bike built for trails not trials. overall even farily std the tlr is an effective tool to throw at rocks

• Like 2

Thanks for the link. From the pics, though, it does appear some people are able to get the TLR200 to do some pretty amazing things... for a trails bike that is : )

Someone on that post said several times there are some "simple mods" that can be done to the Reflex to make it a far better bike. Can anyone suggest what they may be?

Edited by scooterspal

Comparing my TLR200 with my '74 TY250, the TLR:

is more top heavy (bad)

has a longer swing arm (good)

has a higher seat (bad unless you are tall)

has less fork angle (TLR not as steep as TY)

has more clearance under frame

Not to mention 4 stroke vs. 2 stroke.

Simple (and cheap) mods:

Slide the forks up in the triple clamp to increase fork angle

Move foot pegs down and back about 1" each way (welding required)

Smaller front sprocket

If using strictly for trials, remove lights, gages, and battery

Remove funny plastic snorkel from top of airbox

Some people recommend advancing cam timing about 6 degrees and replacing carb with Chinese one from eBay. I have not done this yet.

You do have rear trials competition tires, not trials universal tires, right?

Thanks for the reply.

I kind of felt the bike seat was high but having nothing to compare it to i was not sure... so that answers one question I had. Everyone concures the bike is heavier than most and, yes, mine has the electrics for street use. It is registered and for now I will keep it that way.

I did go down on the front sprocket two years ago and I also bought a larger rear. As I recall the largest that would fit and not hit the plastic shroud. It goes about as slow as it can go now. I read that the test is to set the bike to idle and walk along side it. If you can do that in first gear at walking speed the bike is correctly geared. Make any sense?

Tires... I'm not sure what the rear is made for but it is marked "michelin trials". It may well be a dual version for street use.

As to the carb, I was able to get the Honda carb kit and updated using that. I created a posting of that a while back.

http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/topic/31606-going-for-the-brown/?hl=%2Btlr200+%2Bcarb

I'm pretty happy with the power of the bike but I guess when I really get in to it I will be in a better position to make more changes.

BTW: Can somone tell me what a "tickover" is?

Edited by scooterspal

Thanks for the link. From the pics, though, it does appear some people are able to get the TLR200 to do some pretty amazing things... for a trails bike that is : )

Someone on that post said several times there are some "simple mods" that can be done to the Reflex to make it a far better bike. Can anyone suggest what they may be?

That is someone that you cannot mention in this forum. ( He was banned) A tick over is just your idle speed in another language. You can do a few things to make it better. You already did a partial carb mod. A 9 tooth counter shaft sprocket and replace the steel wheels with aluminum. The biggest thing you could do( Besides buying a trials bike) is cut the frame and bring the front end in to make it turn. Otherwise you can spend a fortune trying to make it look like a great trials bike. Really, just go out and ride it and have fun. It will never do anything well but put a smile on your face!

Yes, I still have the lights and speedo on my TLR because I use it more for trails, plus I have real trials bikes.

Street legal tires usually have some DOT info molded on the side. Real trials tires usually have "Off Road Use" molded on the side. You can easily tell if the rear is street or trials by comparing the rubber blocks to the space between them. Street tires have spaces much smaller than the blocks. Competition tires have almost the same size space between the blocks as the blocks themselves.

You already did a partial carb mod.

So then what's a full carb mod for the TLR200 Reflex consist of?

Really, just go out and ride it and have fun. It will never do anything well but put a smile on your face!

That sounds like a plan : )

Slide the forks up in the triple clamp to increase fork angle

You're saying to raise the forks up as far as they will go until they hit the handle bars?

post.jpg

How does this help me? It would seem to force the front end down rather than up making it heavier in the front as opposed to lighter which is what you want, yes?

Also please advise on the matter of trail. As I measure it it the TLR200 Reflex already has too much trail now at 5.5". Is not the normal trail more like 3.5"? The bike wants to go straight (fine for street riding) but not for trials riding where less trail is better. Easier to make the turns.

trail.jpg

Thoughts?

Edited by scooterspal