Surprised Trials Newbie

rlk_76

I just bought my first trials bike, and I'm totally getting into this stuff. I did, however, need a new fork seal. After calling around to several U.S. trials shops, I found what I needed.

What I also found, and did not necessarily expect, was extremely helpful, nice and eager-to-assist people that I talked to on the phone. All of the places I called were awesome... west coast to east coast.

I think I found the right motorsport!

:)

• Like 2

I purchased wife's 2014 Beta 4T locally (1 hr drive) and Kale Reed (2 time Aussie Champion) couldn't do enough for us. Total gentleman! Puts parts and spares in the post and sends invoice later. Has been a pleasure dealing with him.

My 2014 Montesa Cota had to be purchased interstate as dealer is not in my state (about 1000k's away) so had to be placed on transport. Dealt with the only Montesa importer, located in Sydney. Another gentleman in the trials industry and a rider.

Cota was transported by National transport company for $200 and not even a mark on the crate when it arrived at my local depot.

Montesa Aust now send parts and spares and invoice comes in email later.

This is totally at odds with my 3 new enduro bike purchases in last 5 months! 2 shops I walked from because of the elitist attitude. It was like pulling teeth and guys half my age treating me like I must be new to riding. I was pushing bikes hard on track and off-road before they were born.

Trials, I've discovered, is a totally different animal! People are willing to help at any stage of the trials experience. I have asked questions of experienced riders at practice days and they are all so willing to help. Never had one "issue" with the trials scene since getting the first ever trials bike 6 months ago.

It also seems a little more family orientated. The trials comp I entered had the wives in the background doing the entries and anything to help where needed et cetera (if they were not riding, some did behind the scenes and still rode the sections) and the kids riding trials bikes was inspiring.

As a husband and wife...we have found our "together" hobby! Like my sig says... Balance your life... ride a trials motorcycle!

Mags

Edited by mags

I started riding in the 1980's and had a 22 year break [no trials]. Since starting riding again in 2011 I find nothing has changed [except the bikes] still the same great type of people enjoying the sport.

My 'trials' dealer is over 2000 klm away with another even further. So I only deal with them over the phone or email. Imagine my surprise when I walked up the their displays at the recent Australian round of the WTC, and introduced myself, both dealers said "oh the guitar man" information they would have got from my Emails, and remembered it.

Another great story that shows the good service from most trials dealers.

I ring dealer [interstate] for info re boots, he's not available so he will call back. I wait an hour and as the need was urgent I contacted my local motocross, trail bike dealer to get me a price too. The local dealer is not a trials enthusiast but does try to keep abreast of the needs of trials riders in this town so we support him when we can. Any way I get a good price and say go ahead. Little while later I'm contacted by the first dealer [interstate] who says he saw an order come through from my town thought it was for me, and said it has already left. Great service 3 days, I had the boots for a trial on the weekend.

Taff

• Like 1

Some of the best people I know on this planet we call home , are trials folks ... It's the thinking persons sport . You challenge yourself and no one else .

So camaraderie abounds . AND IT'S ADDICTIVE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep your feet up and have FUN !

Glenn

• Like 1

+1 on all the above, it is an addictive and awesome sport.

at our last club meeting our president said to be sure we had a chat with any spectators who showed up. so i did for the first time and turns out they were all there because they were thinking of getting into trials. all of them said what a friendly bunch we were and had decided to get into the sport.

i'm overwhelmed at the generosity of property owners, club officials and volunteers who put so much time and effort in... it's always great to see riders thanking them, especially observers who are out there all day in sorts of weather, breathing in smoke and watching others have fun.

• Like 2