Oil Breather

WM, on the oil breather, because it's sits on top of the valve cover and any oil that is pushed out tends to attract dust and look messy on the head I put a breather within the breather type of deal, bit like a plastic straw, if you push it in the breather cap about an inch, any oil in the pipe will go to the top of the original tube while still allowing it to breath out of the insert.

So we have heard plenty of negative stuff about the 3.2 what about the likes and how it performs in the section.

Results in trials, have they improved or not ?

Feel and handling ?

Power ?

Grip?

If you could what would you change about design, like better access for removing valve cover ?

Do you prefer it over a two stroke in the performance department ?

I'm asking about experience with the bike, not what the lad down the street told you or a five min test in a parking lot.

or a five min test in a parking lot.

Well ishy had a bit longer than 5 minutes on one, so I will add my ''Two Penneth''

I was actually impressed with the overall handling of the 3.2, time spent was mainly on rocks so I cannot really comment on the grip.

However the engine performed well it was nice to shut the throttle off completely and bring it back in really slow, without playing around with the clutch the engine just pulled and pulled.

Steered well, I have had a 2 stroke Sherco and similar, the only difference is pulling a high gear from full lock to attack a big hill it has a tendancy to go forward and not turn, this is only my opinion.......practice would sort this out ;)

Negatives, probably only one and Sherco I beleive are well aware of this........Starting the B***er, no set pattern, hot, cold, some throttle, no throttle, choke on, choke off it makes no difference. I know you can do mods here and there, but the bottom line is it is a problem.

Every trials bike on the market someone will have a problem, main bearings, stators, falling apart...............the list is endless

4 strokes is going to happen whether the 2 stroke brigade like it or not despite the problems, you pay your money and take your choice

Me am I getting a 4 stroke ....Damn right I am. Ideal bike for Scotland ;):angry:

Ishy

Have had mine for a few months and competed in many trials and am well pleased with it.

Positves...

1. Motor is awesome...nice and soft off the bottom...massive power at the top end!

2. Clutch actuation is nice and linear..best i've used.

3. Grips like sh*t to a blanket, using IRC (fitted from new).

4. Best brakes i've come across.

5. Easy to work on, other than the valve clearance( once a year).

6. Easy to start, now!

Negatives...

1. Steering lock...poor compared to my last bike, Scorpa SY. Handles OK though.

2. Carb' seems erratic at times..almost like an old AMAL Conc'!!!!!

3. Suspension seems dated compared to others, Scorpa SY was better.

4. No 'top' rider competing on one to show how good the bike really is!

RE500

• 3 weeks later...

14 events on mine and all I have changed is the oil and leaned up the main from 28 to 24.

Not going to change owt at this time, had to meet with two Oregon forestry guys today so we could GPS sections and trails, some they are going to designate for trials use only, they ride Mont 4rt's and what a blast they had on some of the trails today, both of them broke rear fenders and levers but they had big smiles on their faces at the end of the day, the $1500 GPS also got broke.

On their front number plates they have ODF your tax dollars at work :blink:

This weekend I rode a two day points event, and 6 hours solid mapping the Tillamook state forest with the ODF lads today, all the 3.2 got was gas tipped in it, I had a blast up the big forth gear hillclimb we used in the last US nationals at that location, those who rode the event will know the one, not done any big climbs on it so that was a good un to test it, had to shut off at the top, bugger was going way too fast, soooooo much power, but soft as they come in the rocky streams, roll on SSDT.

My advice on the 3.2 is stop pratting with them and ride the nuts of em, they love it.

The most positive thing i can say about this bike, is while I have had a few problems (all catalogued in these forums ) I have aboslutely no intention of changing it back to the 2 stroke. :hl: I love it to bits.

The things I have done to it is:

Just changed to a Keihin Carb (40 Pilot/125 Main/JJH second to top setting, air screw 1 full turn) and the big difference is much softer at the lower end. I do like this change for tight and twisty sections. The top end still is as powerful,

although, the bike is running hotter so will look to experiment a bit further. May try a Mikuni carb or some others :)

Mechanically, nothing has gone wrong and the bike is solid. :)

Power delivery is smooth as ice cream and the overall feeling is like you can tackle anything as you've got this awesome power at your fingertips.

Starting has been a problem and this has been due solely to the carb and the overflow pouring straight into the airbox when tipped up. :blink: If i had known about this problem when i got it, I would have done a simple mod to stop it and wouldnt have had 90% of the problems I have. :wall:

When I go to trials, I still get people coming up to it and looking. Anyone who has a go are very impressed by its grunt.

I only got back into trials this year and ride novice route but the first trial I rode I scored 128 :D . Since I got the 4T I have dramatically improved to the point where last week I beat both the top novice riders in my club :) ( im still crap tho ;) )

A local expert rides a 4T and loves it but would love to see one of the very top riders riding one to get their views.

I have had a go on the gassers/scorpa/beta/4RT/ etc and overall, the 4T is by far my favourite bike. The only bike currently that would make me think of changing is the Scorpa 4t if its any good when it comes out.

Just changed to a Keihin Carb (40 Pilot/125 Main/JJH second to top setting, air screw 1 full turn) and the big difference is much softer at the lower end. I do like this change for tight and twisty sections. The top end still is as powerful,

although, the bike is running hotter so will look to experiment a bit further. May try a Mikuni carb or some others :blink:

Out of interest WM, when you changed the carb did you put a new spark plug in it ?

No, i didnt - But looking at your post, i also bought today a 124 main jet for the Dellorto, will set the needle on the top setting and try it again. Also, I will put a small pipe on that overflow and use an air bulk fitting and take it out the side of the airbox. stop it ever flooding the box again

then it should be sweet.

Comparing the 2 carbs, I like the softness of the Keihin but had starting problems with it when hot. Didnt have this problem when I had the Dellorto on.

What plug/gap settings do you recommend?

.6mm 24 thou

Why I asked about the plug was, I just fettling the bike after this weekend and thought I would treat her to a new plug, the bosch equivalent to the stock plug, started it up and ran it a while and noticed it was running hotter at the tail pipe within a few minutes, replaced the plug with the stock one and she ran just as normal, only thing I noticed about the plug was the plug cap didn't lock on to the bosch as good as the NJK

Ishy, you say if you use another plug it will run hotter.

I found a Autolite #3923 that's supposed to crossover.

Haven't tryed it yet, but now I don't know if I should.

What number was the bosch?

First trial this weekend on the 4t.

I hear ppl talk about the airbox filling up.

But does anybody have the vent lines that join behind the

cylinder pour drips of fuel out. I stop the bike and smell gas.

Look down and fuel is coming out the vents. Steep climbs in and out

a ravine. Or zaps etc. with sudden up-down movement.

Does lowering the float height stop the drips?

Milt

Ryan now has the stock plug in stock, I would use that make sure you have a spare.

Bosch # is FR 7 DC

Only once in three month has my bike run fuel out of the overflow tube, in my case cleaning the carb cured it, dirt not allowing the float bowl valve to close properly, if yours is overflowing all the time, then I would lower the float height or make sure nothing is clogging the valve.