Social Trials Club - Concept Or Never Work?

mags

Is there such a thing as a social trials club? It would not hold comps just ride in a group at venues where bikes are allowed.

One Sunday a month it would meet at trials suitable grounds. You could just ride in a group with other riders more experienced and bring your skills up. Or if learning, a few learners could head off with a more experienced rider?

My wife and I have a fantastic time just mucking round with her following me and we seem to improve markedly just riding around. Usually about 40-60 minutes at a time.

The venue we ride at has beautiful facilities. Hot showers, potable water, fireplaces and 750 acres of some great trials country. Two clubs hold comps there so the area is great for trials.

BYO food and provide a barbecue or grill over a fire and we have a barbecue lunch for a break in the middle of the day.

Costs at our area are pretty good at $25 per bike per day. Thats about 14 pound!!! At that rate you would never have to buy 750 acres for yourself!! Hehehehe

Obviously as you gain experience you would want to enter comps at your leisure. You could call the Sunday for Social Trials, the practice day.

I know there a groups of friends or people in clubs that ride together outside comps but this would be a constant thing for anyone to attend on a fixed Sunday per month and is social as well. There are a few guys that ride at our venue for practice and we tag along with them at times and have a ball. There is certainly more laughter and mucking round than at comps.

This would give beginners or trial "wanna have a go" people a more relaxed atmosphere than a comp or formal day for beginners where they see A graders riding around on back wheel or scaling 1 meter plus rocks.

For example, my wife would/should/could inspire any wives or girlfriends of the boy riders to maybe have a go? They know they can't scale a rock or climb a cliff face but they can see a 50 yr old lady in the beginner stage having so much fun she has a grin from ear to ear!

There are many motocross and enduro guys that stop and look at us riding the trials bikes in the creek beds (strictly only trials bikes allowed in the creek areas) and could imagine the promotion of trials if 20-30 people riding trials bikes were at this venue once a month?

Surely it would be a great day? Wanna come and ride ya trails bike all day for $25 and a barbecue provided for you to cook lunch together....

And not a section setter in sight!!!! And sometimes the biggest thing you need to improve or have a go is a bit of good old fashioned encouragement on the day !!!

Mags

The big issue would be how people who wish to ride non-competitively would access land where they could do so legally and with all relevant permissions. In the UK trials operate under the auspices of clubs who often restrict their use of particular pieces of land to a specific number of times per year to maintain good relations with the landowners, and riding is strictly off-limits except for organised competitions. The days of "waste land" or "common land" where casual motor cycling can be legally undertaken are long gone. I am fortunate to belong to a club which owns its own (excellent) land which can be used by any full member at any time and there are "social groups" who go there to ride non-competitively in the way you describe but this facility is rare indeed these days.

Oh ok! Its a little different here at the moment, it may change in the future.

Within 1hr 30min - 1hr 45min from my home are 3 ride areas for off-road motorcycles. 750 acres, 800 acres and 6000 odd on the big one. Camping is allowed at all three. Costs are reasonable, as above.

I get on well with the owner of the main one we use for trials so I may just start by putting a sign in his reception area...

3 rd Sunday of every month is Social Trials Day here. Just a friendly get together for practicing trials. Bring your bike and some food, all welcome. If you have never seen trials or want to ask a question or look at the bikes... pop over and say Hi! Trials people are a friendly bunch! Looks for the bikes with no seats!!!

Mags

Oh ok! Its a little different here at the moment, it may change in the future.

Within 1hr 30min - 1hr 45min from my home are 3 ride areas for off-road motorcycles. 750 acres, 800 acres and 6000 odd on the big one. Camping is allowed at all three. Costs are reasonable, as above.

I get on well with the owner of the main one we use for trials so I may just start by putting a sign in his reception area...

3 rd Sunday of every month is Social Trials Day here. Just a friendly get together for practicing trials. Bring your bike and some food, all welcome. If you have never seen trials or want to ask a question or look at the bikes... pop over and say Hi! Trials people are a friendly bunch! Looks for the bikes with no seats!!!

Mags

That is the way to do it, and let the local club members know so if they want a practice outing others will be there to ride with!

G,day Mags, I live over the Sth Burnett & am keen to find people to ride with. I couldn't care less about riding competitively so a social club, especially run from a ride park would have my support. I like your ideas regarding attracting other riders to the sport. How do we go about organising things?

Brett

sounds good mags, i'll pop along if it's happens.

our club is keen to push the social aspect of trials riding. over the school holidays last summer they had the summer practice series... club members could camp and ride all weekend for $2 a day (they get a good deal on insurance rates) on the 300 acre property out at esk.

two of us also just did the MQ coaching course so we can organise free informal training weekends throughout the year at the same property and the owner is covered insurance-wise.

Brigalow,

South Burnett is a fair way north from Brissie? Not sure of ride parks your way... I only know of The Farm at Blackbutt and Manna Park, Proston. Gap Creek where I ride is about 9k from the top of Cunninghams Gap on the Warwick Rd (Cunningham Highway).

Speaking of Manna Park... an acquaintance of mine, his girlfriend (24 ish), has a second hand two stroke trials motorcycle which she rides at Manna! She does the 30 k (18 mile) loop on a trials bike!!! Rides it at Gap Creek as well! Doesn't ride any other bike, doesn't have a bike licence for road... just rides her trials bike! I can't do 3k on the trials bike without back ache!! Hehehehe Need a seat!!! Hehehe

SE Lucas,

I'm in Brisbane. That restricts us to pretty local for a day trip of trials riding. 1.5 to 2 hrs driving each way would be max or eventually you ease up on the frequency because of distance you have to travel. I do overnights at Gap Creek with the trials bikes but this winter it got to 8 deg below zero. We camped for 3 nights in 2 deg and that was damned cold for these worn bones!

Sherconoob,

If Western Districts did a social weekend once per month on a Sunday we would come up for a look. its about same time travel as Gap Creek for us. It already has a club structure in place with Fair Trading and is Incorporated (I'd say).

The main problem seems to be suitable land. WD has the structure in place to do strictly social days but is restricted by the owner of the land. That is no slight on them by the way.... frigging God bless them, I say, for what they have done for Trials. Making their place of residence a place of trials is outstanding but they need some peace. You couldn't expect them to open up another weekend a month.

No official club formed for social trials might leave me exposed legally? Gap Creek has its own insurance and is included in the daily charge to protect him from losing his property because little Johhny's dad can't be responsible for little Johnny on his motocrosser, its all Gap Creeks fault. You know the scenario... public liability shut down the country as far as motorcycles goes.

I was just hoping that one Sunday a month trials people could get together for a fun days ride of trials and some food at lunchtime. I was hoping to attract more ladies into the sport as well. I've seen the fun my wife has on her trials bike. There is NO WAY she would have ever ridden a bike starting out on the road and all the intimidation that comes with 12 guys at Q ride and one lady. And the exposure to danger strapping an L plate to a bike and following me around town is too great for me to handle until her skills on the trials bike allows her to do the novice line.

A simple thing like a trials bike has opened a new world for her by being much safer and teaching her balance, clutch and brake skills in the quickest, safest way possible on two wheels... in my opinion. She does dream of a Ducati one day though and when that day comes she will be fine as I have a little motto... Ride a Trials Motorcycle ride any motorcycle, you can't do it the other way round.

The reason I thought it may fly at Gap Creek is ... open Fri, Sat, Sun, Mon every week and open 7 days in school holidays, it has a captive audience of 100-150 non-trials motorcycles and their families there most weekends. You should see a dozen 4-6 yr old kids on little 50's with training wheels following each other like caterpillars around the little kids learner tracks. Cutest thing you could ever see!

If that captive audience saw trials there once per month as a social outing it may sway a few to come over a have a look and a chat?

Maybe the only way to do it is go down the road of... Queensland Social Trials Club Inc. I was avoiding that like the plague... committees, meetings, dues, bank accounts, incorporation, joining fees, auditor reports, male ego et cetera.

Side note... we are heading to Gap Creek this Sunday with trials bikes. Got Sunday spare and $25, I'll show ya round the Novice line you can up it from there!! Bring ya family and lunch!

Mags

Hi, Our group here in North Queensland [too far for you guys] must be in trials heaven. we have amassed nine different properties or areas to ride on. Three of these are a pain to get to as it take all of twenty five minutes to get to two of them :hyper: , The third is an hour and a half or more away where we meet up with the guys in Townsville and ride their rain-forest terrain.

All the others are ten/fifteen minutes from town. We ride every Sunday am and every Thursday pm, and rotate the locations so we don't wear out our welcome. These are nearly all social rides. Some times we set sections for fun and at other times put on a proper run trial.

Thursdays we have a beer after the ride and plan the Sunday ride. Then we text the guys who are not there and let them know.

The other week we had nine riders show up after work for a couple of hours of social trials riding. If you want to go on the texting list let me know. :D

Cheers Taff

• Like 1

The main problem seems to be suitable land. WD has the structure in place to do strictly social days but is restricted by the owner of the land. That is no slight on them by the way.... frigging God bless them, I say, for what they have done for Trials. Making their place of residence a place of trials is outstanding but they need some peace. You couldn't expect them to open up another weekend a month.

No official club formed for social trials might leave me exposed legally?......

it's unbelievable the effort this property owner puts in to each club event, apart from just the use of the property. and the whole family pitches in too! he's keen for the property to be used more as we are all down at one end and well away from the house... the main issue was getting qualified coaches to get around the insurance issue if it's not an actual club competition. we now have four so should be easy getting regular social stuff happening.

re: the legal side, i did a pile of queensland-specific research a while back for this thread:

negligence, duty of care & legal mumbo jumbo on informal social rides.

if you aren't charging money then it would be hard to hold you accountable. If you stress that it's just an informal get together with no central organiser that helps too. if you wanted to be ultra careful then you could just get everyone to sign a disclaimer. i figure it's extremely unlikely you'd get someone ever suing but if you own your own home and/or have quite a few assets then it pays to be overly cautious sometimes!

Geez Taff! Talk about living the trials dream! 9 properties well within reach and mid-week riding! If I ever get back to FNQ (Townsville boy) I'll PM ya to join in a ride on the Sun morning!!!

Sherconoob,

Great stuff! Can you let me know if you have a social day on a Sunday? Is it the intention that non- members can attend social days? How far is property from Sandgate?

Was thinking shortest way would be out to Samford and over Glorious. Although, going north I can get to Kilcoy in about 1 hr.

Thanks for the link.... off to have a read!

Mags

unfortunately the insurance setup restricts it to club members... members of WDTC, MTCQ and LRTC all join motorcycling australia which covers the insurance at any event or get together. there would need to be special insurance taken out to cover non-members, which is done for the "come and try trials" day held in feb by the clubs each year.

via glorious is probably shortest, but with all the twisties may take just as long as via kilcoy or ipswich. it's a 90 min drive for me so i tend to make a weekend of it when i go out. the summer practice series was great... head out early sat and camp over. just chill by the river during the hot parts of the day but ride early morning and later afternoon.

once you join any club you can attend the events of all the others too, but it's a bugger they are all south or west of brissie.

Great stuff! Can you let me know if you have a social day on a Sunday? Is it the intention that non- members can attend social days? How far is property from Sandgate?

Was thinking shortest way would be out to Samford and over Glorious. Although, going north I can get to Kilcoy in about 1 hr.

Thanks for the link.... off to have a read!

Mags

In the end I'll have to join a club and pay for a Motorcycle Australia permit when we eventually compete. I don't mind that at all when the time comes... well I do mind a little but have no choice. If they put some money back into trials.... that would be great!

Up to 150 motorcycles run around Gap Creek every weekend socially... Motorcycle Australia nowhere to be seen! Cost is very reasonable as well and its all done legally I'd reckon. He has a one council inspection that I know of and the roads dept is talking doing a separate turning lane into the property in the 100 zone, in the near future. So it seems its there for some time?

SQTA run trials all year round and no MA in sight? It must be more of a social club but it has observed comps, I've seen one.

I'll have to read more stuff about a "non competition social club" being covered by insurance and protecting the property owner. Maybe just can't be done without some sort of exposure for the participants or property owner. Ulysses and HOG clubs all ride socially, have very reasonable membership. Third party and Incorporation probably do the cover there though?

Thanks for the tip on the curves over Glorious.... might not be a fun drive with a van full of gear and two bikes!

Getting bikes ready for Sunday.... my wife says "you riding that Montesa around yard again?". Yes dear! Just checked the tyre pressures and had to make sure they were suitable for my replacement trial pants. Semi-melted my only pair on hot exhaust some time ago... yes, it was a fall that somehow got my leg caught between the exhaust pipe and front wheel!!!

Mags

i think gap creek would incorporate the cost of insurance into their fees? e.g. i spoke with the mob who run queensland moto park and they said their $42/day entry fee is more than half taken up just by the cost of insurance. :-(

i was going to take a look at SQTA but being brisbane-based i found their properties all situated even further from bris than the other clubs and from memory i think their days are around $30. being a tight a*** i like the cost of WDTC club days being only $15 (although the occasional big events are $30 to pay for the trophies etc).

i'm not sure what SQTA does liablity-wise. possibly they have organised insurance for the property owners? i had a look at one of their entry forms and it definitely has the standard disclaimer to sign, and a strong suggestion that riders obtain their own personal insurance before the event, but not an actual requirement.

some SQTA guys must have the MA licence as i see them at our club meets, and i know some of our guys who live out west go to their events too.