Get Road Registered Now!

Anyone thinking of getting your bike MOT'd ! . Ive seen lots of differing versions of what you need posted into the forums.. ive just had mine done so I can confirm the requirements -

1) horn (constant sound - not honk HONK !) - megablast horn avail on ebay

2) road reg plate (to the proper standards, i.e full size)

3 Tyres - if your tyres say 'for offroad use only' on them, scrub this off, start with with a sharp Stanley knife then sand to remove any trace

The bike has to be in general good condition in terms of play on headstock or swing arm / wheels.

Get insured, get taxed and BINGO .. legal !

I was stopped by the Police last weekend and had the small plate on, I was in local woods (just off a green lane :-) ! . I explained I was practising and had public safety at the top of my thoughts, showed him my docs and off he went.

Now I know there are folks on here that will shoot me down and say 'im giving the sport a bad name', but im legal and have the freedom to ride (being sensible about this !) anywhere I see good practice sections along my green lane routes (great app avail for this and bar mounted holder on ebay for a tenner) ... we need new folks into this sport, not every newbie will turn up at a trial the first time they get on the bike !

if your tyres say.. off road use only.. they also have.. in usa and canada only.. printed on them.. so they should still pass muster in the uk. you are not required to have a speedo for an mot but you must have one if you ride on the public highway.

on your green lanes the public highway legally is 20 metres either side of the centre of the established route.

even on the green lane or 20m either side of the mid point you could be prosecuted for dangerous or reckless riding which might be interpretted to include standing up..

A stop light is also required but many testing stations either ignore this one or don`t realise it is a requirement.

I don't think this is the case for a day time MOT, you are on hand signals. I was surprised myself, not even a reflector is needed.

If the bike has any lights on then they must work, so make sure it doesn't have any !

A stop light is also required but many testing stations either ignore this one or don`t realise it is a requirement.

Having a stop light only applies "if" you have lights fitted.

Taken from: The Motorcycle and Side Car Testers Manual http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual/mc_contents.htm

1.3 Stoplamps

This inspection applies to; all machines except those which have neither front nor rear position lamps, or has such lamps permanently disconnected, painted over or masked that are . only used during daylight hours, and

. not used at times of seriously reduced visibility

If this situation occurs the vehicle presenter should be issued with a VT32 (advisory notice) recording the above.

Exemptions

For this test if a stop lamp is fitted, it must meet the requirements of this inspection, but need not be fitted to a machine which:

a. cannot exceed 25mph, or

b. was first used before 1 January I936.or

c. was first used before 1 April 1986 and which has an engine capacity of less than 50cc. Machines first used before 1 April 1986 must have a stop lamp that operates from at least one brake control.

Machines first used on or after 1 April 1986 must have a stop lamp that operates from both brake controls.

However, a small number of machines first used from this date were approved with the stop lamp operated by only one control. A machine should only be failed if you are certain that it was originally manufactured to operate from both controls

On machines without a battery or with an insufficiently charged battery, it will be necessary to run the engine.

Motorcycles registered from 1 September 2001 must only display a number plate at the rear of the vehicle. Motorcycles registered before 1 September 2001 can display a number plate at the front, but do not have to. The number plate must be a “two-line” number plate. Motorcycle number plates should have a:

Character Height – 64 Millimeters

Character Width – 44 Millimeters (except the figure 1 or letter I)

Character Stroke – 10 Millimeters

Space between characters – 10 millimeters

Space between groups – 30 millimeters

Top, bottom and side margins – 11 millimeters (minimum)

Vertical space between groups – 13 millimeters

This Information has been taken directly from: www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring

Pre 2001 bikes only need to have a number plate that the tester thinks is OK.

If tyres have a direction of rotation arrow (some trials tyres now have these) the tyre must be fitted the correct way round.

A red rear reflector must be fitted whether or not the bike has lights. I queried this with VOSA when my tester insisted on it and I thought he was wrong. The reason they gave is in case the bike is used in conditions of reduced visibility.

Stoplight only needed if you have lights fitted.

Regarding standing up being dangerous, there is some precedent on this, although because the decision was at a magistrates court it does not set a precedent that is binding on other courts.

In about 1978 a rider was charged with dangerous driving for riding on a grass bank behind the pavement in the standing position. The magistrates were shown the Sammy Miller trials book which stated that standing was the correct way to ride and some other information that suggested trials bike seats were pretty well just decorative. Upon seeing a picture of Sammy Miller riding over a car at the side of the public highway (a garage opening ceremony) the magistrate said "well he is certainly in control" and the rider was found not guilty. This was reported in the Observer and some other national papers.

Edited by dadof2

Certainly I will not be tempting fate by trying standing up riding in front of a policeman.

However remember in court it is up to the prosecution to prove their case "beyond reasonable doubt"

If you have books, handbooks or videos showing that standing up is a normal way to ride these motorcycles it introduces reasonable doubt.

Proving dangerous driving even when the driving has been been pretty abysmal and an accident has resulted is very difficult as any police officer will confirm, that is why the CPS usually try careless driving instead.

Getting a bit off topic here but the law is very peculiar. I can remember a case where a driver ran over and killed an elderly person on a signal controlled crossing when the light was on red and with a dozen or more witnesses. You would have thought guilty a dead cert, but no, the case was abandoned. The driver said he could not see the traffic light because of the sun in his eyes (which it was) and the old person moved onto the crossing unexpectedly. The drivers solicitor argued that even the most diligent drivers did not stop completely when the sun caused bad visibility, they just slow down a bit as this driver had done.

• 2 weeks later...