Montesa 247 Restore

kkc189

Hi Guys,

I am trying to restore a Montesa Cota 247 which I bought new in 1972 and I have now acquired again. The main stumbling block at the moment seems to be getting a petrol tank for it, I have the glassfibre shell but need the alloy tank. I have tried quite a few places but no luck yet. If anyone has any suggestions I would be most grateful for any leads.post-19984-0-44578400-1408876864_thumb.jpg

Welcome kcc189, I think that you might struggle to find a tank but you never know, thoughts are that may be a yamaha ty80 tank could be made fit and i think the fuel tap is on the correct side as well.

Next up is to get your post onto the Montesa section of the forums, further down the page ;) here you will find a collection of like minded souls all lovin the Cota 247, I my self am restoring one at the moment and have another standing in the wings to start once number one is completed.

I am sure all of the information that you will ever need is to be found in the Montesa section, from supplier to hints, tips and projects.

Have fun and we will see you in the Montesa section.

cheers

John.

Hi and welcome.

What happened to the tank inner?

They do come up on e-bay sometimes when someone breaks a bike, but they look to be in poor condition.

But could well be repairable of course.

Are you sure about 1972?

The alloy inner tank was introduced in 1973 to meet UK road legislation.

And yours has the still later, right foot brake, left foot gear change.

A great find never the less, wish I could find mine from about the same vintage.

Regards

Sparks

Edited by sparks2

When I was at the Scottish this year I was talking with a chap who goes under the name of TLR Transformatitons and he uses a plastic tank by Acerbis which is designed to be used under a dummy tank. Might be worth googling or contacting him. The alloy ones were notorious for leaking at the rear seam so better to avoid if you can.