Montesa 315R - Won't Start - Did I Kill It?

gregsta

Hi all

I wish I wasn't posting here so soon after picking up the bike but here I am : (

Recently bought a 2000 model 315R from a trusted friend, the bike has had an easy life in his hands.

I've listed exactly what happened below, but the short version is that it wasn't running great under power. I cleaned the carb which seemed to fix it but I then cocked up the fine adjusting. In the process of trying to fix this I cocked up again and now it won't start. It's my first 2 stroke so I'm no expert, but all the obvious answers have eluded me.

OK, so the details...

Phase 1:

Bike starts OK but has no power in high gears or on steep hills.

Phase 2:

Took carb off and removed most of the jets to soak in carb cleaner overnight.

Oiled air filter

Fixed the sticky throttle

Re-assembled

MY ERROR - I mistook the Throttle Stop screw for the Air Screw. I tightened then turned the Throttle Stop screw back - I should have done this to the Air Screw.

Phase 3:

Ran the bike. Started well (second kick). Not running great in low gears but running much better in higher gears - power right through gear 3 and above.

MY ERROR - screwed the Throttle Stop screw in tight.

Bike died a few seconds later.

Could not get the bike started even with the Throttle Stop screw wound back out.

Phase 4:

Took cab off and emptied the fuel out. Re-assembled. Did not start

Phase 5:

Took spark plug out. Tested it on my other bike (against engine casing) and there was a spark. Couldn't get it to spark against the Montesa engine casing. Spark was wet when I took it out.

Phase 6:

Took carb off.

MY ERROR - tried to take the Slow Jet 1 out to clean as it was blocked up but stripped the slot off - it's a crazy tight fit. May have to drill and fix with Helicoil kit.

Phase 7:

Reassembled. Would not start

I know I cocked up but I think I can fix the Slow Jet issue with a new jet and a helicoil kit (which I have). But, assuming that that gets fixed, I'm still left with a bike that won't start. Help massively appreciated.

Greg

Hey Greg, no its not dead its just fueling issues due to you messing, If i was you i'd just get another carb instead of helicoiling the jets, trust me it'll never run right if you do that.

I have one which i'd post for a small fee otherwise speak to Richard at Allens bike breakers in Northampton and he'll sell you a brand new pwk26 set up ready for your bike for £80, i have one and it transforms the bike

• Like 2

gregsta, Per your phase 5 you cant get a spark on the Montesa casing it would stand to reason that the Montesa has no fire.

I would make sure first that you have the kill button completely out of the system, then if you cant get fire check all

connections @ the coil and all grounds. Carbs usually don't mess up unless water or trash is present.

Good luck

Larry

If you did not drill the pilot out, then everything should be fine. You can look through the pilot when the slide is out. If blocked run a wire from a wire brush to clear. Sounds more like you messed up the floats or level causing all the problems. A new PW carb would be great, but maybe not needed.

Aye test the spark plug again as it may just be user error as i dont see why it wouldn't spark from what you described.

If you want the easy / cheap option just get another Dellorto carb 2nd hand of which there are plenty and cheap to save trying to sort out what you have done to your original carb. Im sure Richard would make sure the screws / float are all set right just to fit straight back on the bike.

Fitting a Keihn PWK is an amazing upgrade to the bike though but the PWK 28 does require more knowledge and so on to get running to best performance. Plus you have to sleeve the airbox rubber to fit it although you can try and get the original to fit by warming it in hotwater and fighting with it for a while. You may need a different throttle cable also.

If it was me I'd stick to a Dellorto for now as they are pretty forgiving. Also playing around with the carb etc is just part of the learning curve of having a trials bike. You learn by your mistakes...

good luck

neil

Thanks guys

Dellorto carb on its way. As suggested, I'm going to stick with stock for the moment. A good running bike is my main aim, before I start improving it.

In the mean time, with the kill switch, is it as simple as just closing the wiring loop so that it avoids the circuit to the actual switch? I can get hands on a multi-meter. Is there a simple way of testing to see if there is current being generated when I kick it over?

Massively appreciate all the help. I have a newish KTM enduro bike bike that I'm reluctant to experiment with mechanically, so the Montesa, whilst being a bit of a pain, is serving its purpose as a 'training tool' both in and out of the garage.

Shame I won't be making the Durham trial today but that's the way it goes...

: )

Greg, Many times it is the simple things that are over looked, just trace your kill switch wire to the coil and unhook it,

this should be under the tank, not all that handy, hook up a new plug and ground it tightly to the jug, here you may need

help, now kick the engine over, RED IS DEAD, BLUE or WHITE is GOOD. Two strokes only need FIRE, compression & fuel at the rite time. Per the post from huski, Fire.

Good Luck

Larry

Edited by lbhbul

• 1 month later...

Guys - sorry I forgot to come back and post an update here. My bad, I got the bike going and just never got round to finishing the conversation.

So, in the end, it was two separate issues. I got a 2-stroke genius friend round for the evening and we picked our way through it. Firstly, the carb. My only option was to Helicoil the stripped thread and based on people's advice that I would never get a tight fit I decided to buy another second hand carb. £20 later and it was installed and good to go. The inlet and outlet sizes were slightly smaller so I wrapped tape around the outer diameter to beef them up and make a good seal.

But.. after installing it, we still couldn't get a spark. The carb was good which meant it was the electrics. After a big of head scratching we traced it back to a wire that runs into/out of the ECU unit (I think it's called an ECU?). The wire had been resting against the fan and over time the fan blades had been chopping it up until it was only being held on by one copper wire which snapped the second we found it. Soldering kit out, heat shrink wrap connecter thingies and we were back in business.

Bike has been running great since - thanks for everyone's input here on the forum. A few of us have got trials bikes at the same time up here and have been out practicing. The plan is to get our ACU licences in the new year and start entering trials. Till then it's pay-n-play and Fuddy Muckers up near Conset. And to prove the bike is going again, a little pic I snapped of my mate Joe on Sunday. I did however manage to drop it and crack the clutch master cylinder. It will hold with a bodge repair of metal glue and zip ties but I'd rather put a new one on. Don't suppose anyone has one to sell before I order a new one?

: )

IMG_5373.jpg

• Like 1