Building An E-Bmx, Design Ideas?

gudah

Just tried running it with no load, bikecomputer says:

45 km/h @ 3230/395 rpm(Motor/wheel)....no wonder it´s a bit weak.

Best guess is that it needs 36-48V and a gearing to top max 20 Km/h(with load on).

Feels difficult to find a rear sprocket that will do the job, i´ve only found 11/90 T sofar.

For now, I maxed the tyres with 4.5 bars to help a little.

Will let the kids try it some day when snow is gone.

...Or just add a 48V/1200W OSET-motor and reduce the gearng by 20% to give it the same

performance as our OSET 20".

...Or buy a bike conversion kit with a 24" 48V1000W wheel but i don´t have the same good

experience with those BLDC motors as the good old fashionned brushed ones when it comes to

initial "hit", probably jus a setting in the controllers of the few ones i´ve tried on div. bicycles.

Snyggt jobbat! (Yes I am also Swedish).

Seems like a fun project. Not much power you say, but how is it to ride concerning geometrics, weight, suspension etc?

I am also curious about your boys Oset 16 with 20 wheels, do you have any pictures of that one?

Tack/Thanks Sveson.

Sofar it feels ok but i am not a trials rider, just freeriding and enjoying the silence and lightwieght

of these bikes, the rear shock has to be replaced with something a bit stiffer since it is taken from an old twinshock moped and a bit to soft.

My guess is that it weighs in at approx. 30kg´s so you could perhaps add a bigger motor and Lipo´s and still end up at approx 30 Kg´s.

Trivia:

Pricing is a strange thing..my neighbour bought a complete Ebike with 48V 1000W 20 Ah Lithium(Samsung-cells) from Conhismotor in China

at approx 1100 Euros and i almost felt like buying one to thrash for parts(Battery, BMS, charger and motor) and keep the rest as a standard bicycle.

It was 26" so i´d have to relace the hubmotor to a 24" rim but still it´s a fair pricing(the darn thing does 54 Km/H and pulls wheelies if you want it to).

For our standard 2012 OSET 20" I have a extra 48 V/7,2 Ah "Strap-on" SLA pack to extend the range

for up to approx 45 minutes of fun trailriding in a small forest and for my 74 kg´s bodyweight the extra weight of the batteries on the bike doesn´t matter

as the entire bike is still under 40 Kg´s in total(The extra 7,2 Ah in addition to the standard 10 also gives a bit more of punch when you hit the throttle).

This is why I made the "24" frame so it can house big batteries but right now I want to await the result/specs and of course pricing of the OSET 24" Concept before I decide how and if to proceed more on this one(Better to save the money for a new bike perhaps).

After all this build cost perhaps 50EUR so I havent really spent anything(Beer excluded;-) on it yet.

In my experience, you can build a pretty cool bike yourself but it is difficult to match something factory-designed.

Small improvments and adaptations you can do even better now and then, but an entire bike is tough as it´s all

about making good compromises to achieve an affordable (and desireable) end result.

Oh..and finally, i came across a new old BMX-frame..so perhaps next winter...a new project. :icon_salut:

As requested by Sveson:

Homemade 20" OSET Lite, "Youtube-spec"

Standard OSET 16" frame.

post-19648-0-74481400-1425228537_thumb.jpg

Rear swing extended by 50 mm´s

post-19648-0-60668500-1425228566_thumb.jpg

24" front fork installed.

180 mm front disc.

Wider steerer(Same as oset 20").

post-19648-0-05486000-1425228642_thumb.jpg

Hydraulic brake converted.

Controls in accessible area.