Cota 247

allyboy

There is a large repair to this casing so it could have been some bodys great idea for sealing that went horribly wrong.

I am delighted to be getting a second chance with this motor, John will tell you it is a genuine first kicker with plenty of poke. I will take my time and do the best I can to get it back together well. Its just a shame I opened that case last!! Ive got the barrel, head and side cases to go on and refit to the frame.

The chain is stiff and needs a good soak the exhaust needs flushed through, the seat tank unit is now all fibre glassed together and just needs a good sand and filled and sanded again primed and painted.

Johns 247 is without doubt the best, I would never take it offroad though but I would be tempted to put a light on it and use it for posing on summer days.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Tomorrow I am going to get the rebuild started, any ideas on torque for the barrel to cases studs and the head to barrel nuts .

I am going to do a light resto to the frame and barrel etc give it all a good pressure wash to shift the grunge.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Yaaay

after rebuilding the engine and getting it back into the frame I gassed her up primed the carb and gave her a couple of kicks, After about six kicks the engine fired well and ran very sweetly, She now fires first kick every time again, this was my worry, I hated stripping an engine that was running so well.

I have ordered a domino fast action throttle and some fresh grips, I have already got new levers fitted.

As well as sorting out the motor I have painted the frame and the mudguards black, if I like how it looks I will get a set of black mudguards from in motion.

I am going to Irvine beach on Sunday with a pal that has just bought a tidy Bultaco Sherpa 250. Now I will be able to take the Cota as well as the Bantam trials.

I will try and get some pics.

Cheers.

• Like 1

Hi

Had an amazing day with the cota today three hours of mixed terrain and a lot of practice at jumping and getting the bike over low obstacles and across small gullies. I ran out of fuel once but other than that the bike was great. I even managed the deep sandy sections much better today, no falling off either.

Cheers

• Like 1

029269A3-B6AE-4F35-8127-371796E10C1D_zps

F65F1FE8-A420-48D3-826F-BFCE0A4DF40A_zps

D9BD883C-D715-43B4-BB00-A8E99DBA92D1_zps

F79C6898-BF3C-4CB8-9A83-A87A7F58D7CA_zps

Not action shots yet but stunning views today and my pals with a very nice Bultaco Sherpa 250 and a very dodgy Chinese death trap It was the tall guy on the death trap!! He paid £40 for it. Way too much if you ask me!

I quite like the Black mudguards on the Montesa. When the tank cover is ready I am getting it gloss Black If thats good with the mudguards I will get proper black ones, if its too black I will possibly get some alloy ones and go more vintage looking.

Mechanically the bike was great, I need to replace the tyres and the throttle cable isnt right for the Domino twist grip but it is working for now.

Cheers

Ali

Ally , just a word of warning! With the kickstart in that position it is know to cause problems by breaking the alloy casing as the stop on the shaft hits a weak part of the moulding and can punch throught the inner engine casings where you found the rubber !

The kickstart lever should be parallel to the frame down tube at the one ' o' clock position.

The right angle is about 1 pm. This can be corrected from the outside. The easier way to do it is removing the kickstart, its spring and the outer cover. Then rotate the shaft clockwise, and once you reach its end, place the kickstart and its spring in place over the outer cover with the right angle, and then install the set carefully in the inner case.

I know it sounds strange, but otherwise you'll spend a lot of time.

• Like 1

Cheers thats it sorted now, I have the seat back from the trim people and it looks amazing, much better than I thought it would. I was going to respray the tank myself but have opted to use a local paint shop and the new metalic black should be ready on Monday. Not original but its what I fancy for now and as this is my main bike for using its me that will be getting the benefit of it. Photos when ready!!

• Like 1