Hows The 4/stroke 125's Going?

marky g

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had mine a month or so now, moved from a GG Pro 250 (03), which is the bike that I effectively started competing in Trials on after 13 yrs of MX.

Tremendous little bike.

Good and Bad points (please bear in mind I am very much an 'easy course' rider - nothing too difficult !)

Good Points

1 - The power is so user friendly. In rocky streams etc, you just stick it into 1st, and it'll go over anything. Let it find it's grip, and it will.

2 - Simplicity - Bog standard engine which runs like a sewing machine. No radiators etc etc.

3 - Build quality - first class (apart from the little clips that everyone uses now to bolt the subframe to the main frame - makes re-assembly a 2 man job - but the GG Pro was the same !)

4 - Some people say underpowered, but I find that the 'uderpower' of the bike gets you into less trouble and makes it more tractable.

5 - Looks and sounds beautiful.

6 - Cost - A new bike with all the road bits & pieces (if you want them) for under

Bob Ginder had the Competition 125 that just arrived in the states at the trial in Cartersville, GA this weekend and rode it in what has to be the stickiest mud (north Ga red clay) that I've ever ridden in. The little 125 didn't seem to have any shortage of power and was going everywhere anyone else riding his class was. It almost looked like he had an easier time of it than some of the folks on larger bikes as it hooked up very well. Hopefully, he'll show up over here and give you a first-hand account of his first event on it!

He's doing development work with Mike Komer on the 143cc & 160cc engine kits and so ended up with the first of the Competition/Racing models to hit the states (Mike didn't even see it, just swapped shipping labels & sent it on!). He only picked it up at the terminal on Thursday morning, so he didn't really even have any time to get it sorted out to suit him before this Sunday's event. Even so, he had a BIG grin on his face by the end of the day!!! :ph34r:

What does the 160cc kit contain & how much does it cost?

Are they still reliable with the big bore kit?

I've got a bit of a soft spot for the 4/st bikes, I used to have a couple of TLR Hondas, at that time I used to think they were a bit gutless....but that was when I first started riding trails.

Now I'm knocking on for 40 the little yam engine'd bike is looking very attractive

post-10-1073934625.jpg

If you thught the 250 tlr gutless then bear in mind (a) this is half the capacity and (;) this is a trail engine not a trial motor, horses for courses.

Point taken ND, as the old saying goes "a good big un beats a good little un".

I don't want to dismiss it untill I've rode it :wacko: a 250cc bike would be more appealing though.

I do like the idea of air cooling and the 'proven' Yamaha engine...I would have a guess that the 'new breed' of bikes over 250cc will be water cooled and be as tricked out as they get (see expensive).

Maybe the 160cc version of the Scorpa will out power and old TLR lump :o

I'll have to wait and see for the chance to grab a go on one.

post-10-1074021812.jpg

I think my first pics must be the protos,I went into BVM over the xmas break and they had a couple of 125's in stock.

They had thick black seat's on them and the back mudguard looked different to the ones in my first pics.

John B said in his last post that his 125 had a tube'd back tyre.

Here's the latest pic off the Scorpa website (without the seat on), plus the website link.

http://www.scorpa.fr/english/sy_250/TYS_125_en.html

post-10-1074030841.jpg

Edited by Marky G