Hows The 4/stroke 125's Going?

marky g

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've put decals on my rear mudguard, made up from 'thicksuff' plasic. Comes in a sheet about 500 X 300 mm. I have a strip of blue carbon fibre effect about 100mm wide X 500 long running from the tank to the rear. I've then put a white 'Yamaha' decal on the Blue (letters are about 75mm high). I've also put some black carbon fibre effect strips on the side where your boots rub.

Sounds complicated, isn't, and was cheap (about

Hi Stu, no probs with the bike update, hopefully I'm doing the clutch mods in the next few days and I'm going to see the decal guy in the next few days.

Going to the local MX shop to get some of that thick clear stuff, to cover the frame parts that are exposed and also to put over the guard stickers to protect them (it's what the MX bikes are doing now with there graphic kits).

Alloy tank and Stainless pipe are being sorted too :)

I'll post some pics when it's done in a few weeks time.

Have been reading the stuff you guys write about the Scorpa four stroke. Here's my bit. Most of you will have heard of me and may know I've had a 125 four stroke for a couple of months. I'm doing the ACU Classic series on it. Mods to date - change the bars to Renthals, footrests to Hebo, lengthen clutch arm by 35mm but YOU MUST ALSO ADJUST THE CLUTCH BEHIND THE COVER - it makes all the difference. The clutch is fine, doesn't need hydraulics or anything. Have taken out the four steel rods in the perforated tube in the exhaust, this opens it out and provides a bit of extra zip. Not good on big hills but second is OK to use with a bit of a run up and bottom on everything else. Have backed off the rear spring a full turn, improves grip and put forks through yokes 10mm, stops it oversteering. Front forks my need sorting with different oil, they are not the best, but OK Have had a Veteran club trial win and whilst it's not as competitive as my Montesa, it's great to ride, people look at it and it's different. Don't know about uprating the motor above 150cc or so, it's a bit like throwing cash at something that's not worth it. Why worry about the rear mudguard, can you see it when you are riding it? I've seen one with a 250 airbox/mudguard grafted on and it looks a mess, don't bother. Next time out - Bootle on March 21, Welsh Trophy early April, Hooper Trial late April, see it then and decide yourself. At the end of the day, they have to be ridden, it's as simple as that.

Last year I rode the Verdon trial and Chris Bruand (Scorpa works rider) drew the short straw and was given the 125 for the 5 days. I noticed he reverted to 2smoke power for the indoor arena trial.........

Several of us gave the 125 a fair test - ride round the car park in shorts n' flip flops - and concluded it had a sharp clutch & calling the power soft was being kind. Anyway, CB had a hydraulic clutch fitted with a small cable/slave that is prob straight from the 250. The slave on the hebo kit is much larger.

CB rode the hardest route and was going well considering his mount, but was probably on 10 times his normal score. The Hard route there is pretty tough and mainly grippy rocks. His technique was to wind the 125 to the max at the begins card and modulate the "power" with the clutch. Unfortunately on about day 4 he fell on the run up to a large rock and smashed his face. So was out. Which was a pity as it was excellent to see him ride such challenging stuff on the 125.

Hi all

Mike - thanks for your insights into your bike. Just quickly, when you say adjusting the clutch inside the cover - do you mean you removed the excess freeplay?

cheers

ben_r

downunder

Mike (Rapley),

Good to read your comments,

I have pretty much the same opinion, although I haven't touched the clutch mod yet, as it's not losing me marks.

Two questions

1 - Was interested in the exhaust mod, - exactly what is it and how do you do it ?

2 - Engine width - I've found that the engine is substantially wider than the bashplate (mind you, I am used to the width of a GG Pro, if you an fit your boot through, the bike will go through!) - I've knocked both sides of the engine on rocks up to now, so have had a couple of aluminium extensions made to be bolted on - have you had similar experiences ?

and you are right, it does get the looks !

cheers

John

Hi all

Mike - thanks for your insights into your bike. Just quickly, when you say adjusting the clutch inside the cover - do you mean you removed the excess freeplay?

cheers

ben_r

downunder

You must adjust this centre screw and lock nut firstly, then take up any play with the clutch cable adjuster on the handlebars :)

Just extending mine by 30mm at work in the morning, the bikes then going off to be fitted with an alloy tank, the same chap who's doing the tank will also make me a Stainless header pipe too...I'll post pics when I gte the bike back (two weeks)

mark

post-10-1078870072.jpg

Marky G

Just a quick comment - If youre getting an alloy tank made, there is a possibility of it being smaller (less capacity). If you are just running club trials (4 laps - 10 sections), I've found it runs forever on the sniff of an oily rag !

just a thought.......................

and post the pics when you get it back.

John.

From Mike Rapley - The exhaust mod is easy - strip the exhaust pipe by drilling off two pop rivets at the header pipe end, pull out the guts which is a perforated tube with a large sheet of fibre glass wrapped around it. Grind off the heads of the four steel rods then punch them out. Replace the packing round the perforated tube and put it all back together and pop rivet it. Only snag is I bet you can't get all the packing back in. I had to lose about a five inch strip, the whole job takes about an hour plus tea break. It's a bit noisier but certainly seems to help it. This tip came from Peter Gaunt who the older ones amongst you will know has a history of small bike development from when I was a kid with the Gaunt Suzuki and the Gaunt Jawa. The other guy riding a Scorpa in the DK Mansell was my mate Ephy Wilson. The guy who reckons it will run all day on a sniff of an oily rag isn't giving it big enough handfuls. I reckon mine is thirsty. I used two full tanks in the Mansell and was on reserve for the last mile. Haven't done anything with the bash plate, but I think it's a good idea. Before I bought mine, I rode Martin CRosswaite's bike in last year's Peak trial and his had extensions welded to the bash plate. Got a Cleveland entry this Sunday but I shall be on the Mont, so the Bootle trial is still the next outing on the Scorpa.

The guy who reckons it will run all day on a sniff of an oily rag isn't giving it big enough handfuls. I reckon mine is thirsty. I used two full tanks in the Mansell and was on reserve for the last mile.

I had planned to get the tank made to carry slightly more fuel (see one in pic) and after reading Mikes story it's just as well :)

The bikes going off this Saturday to have the Tank & Stainless front exhaust pipe made, I'll ask him if he'll extend the bash plate too.

So far I've took off the wiring and lights, made a small alloy bracket for the Choke to mount on (the old one snagged up the front number plate!) also done the clutch mod + I've attached a small extention under the rear guard to stop any crap & water getting into the airbox (looks like a better design than my old 250 Sherco) and I've chopped about 3" off the rear guard (used to look like a surf board :D )

post-10-1079125341.jpg

Are you sure you have not got a leaky tank Mike. I didnt fill up the honda 200 on the D.K.Mansell and it only took 2.5 litres to fill it for the next trial. Better take some round in a bottle with you at Bootle.