Ty 175 Problems Aaaarghhhh!

gallunk

Hi again!

Pretty much done everything everones suggested and guess what .....It lives!!!!!!!!!!! starts first kick and burbles like only a TY can.. but....... bluring out on higher revs? Fine pottering around in first or second but not pulling cleanly or reving cleanly when the throttles opened fully?

Also what the recommended fuel mix as I tend to add an extra squirt of oil just in case???

Any ideas please?

Thanks

Hi,try this.Spark plug,what gap are you using? Try down to 15thou or so,I say this because the coil may be just able to put out sufficient voltage for a short time when cold.If better,try a wide gap,if then worse suspect the coil.One more thing,( I found this 20 years ago servicing radio telephones) old wires carrying current,strip back an end and see if the copper core wires are blackened or discoloured ? If so replace right away,it is quite literally shot. Replace with tinned core wire,it is the best.Vehicle Wiring Products carry it. Also be aware old soldered joints are suspect. After 20 years or so solder joints start to deteriorate with trapped gases & oxygen from the original melting process.From the outside the joint may look fine,but inside it is suspect. Re-new & re-make all joints & this will eliminate any problems on this side of things.Hope this helps,John.

• Like 4

Hi again!

Pretty much done everything everones suggested and guess what .....It lives!!!!!!!!!!! starts first kick and burbles like only a TY can.. but....... bluring out on higher revs? Fine pottering around in first or second but not pulling cleanly or reving cleanly when the throttles opened fully?

Also what the recommended fuel mix as I tend to add an extra squirt of oil just in case???

Any ideas please?

Thanks

I take it you have thoroughly ultra sonically cleaned the carb and renewed any 'o' rings

Float height set at 21mm

Try setting mixture screw at 2.75 turns out

Might also be worth investing in a new pilot jet

Do you have an in line fuel filter fitted?

50:1 fuel/oil ratio is fine to use, if your not sure what that is, it's 100ml of oil to 5 litres of petrol

• Like 1

Thanks again for the tips and suggestions.

Cleaned the carb as suggested and actually found some gunk in the main jet holder! swear down it wasnt there the other 47 times I cleaned the carb!!

Yes renewed the O rings, think I might invest in a new pilot jet though!

Yes got an inline filter as well.

The reason I mention the premix is that I thought I may be putting in too much oil as it was a bit smokey on full throttle!

Will have a look at the wiring and mess about with the plug gap etc and see what occurs.

Thanks again Peeps! :thumbup:

• Like 1

I've recently brought another TY to restore, in his advert the guy said it had been sitting for a number of years and that once he had ultrasonically cleaned the carb it fired up first kick.

Sure enough when I went to see it, it started no problem, however the carb started overflowing. At the time I thought possibly the needle valve might be knackered? but on getting it home I stripped the carb and hey presto there was a bit of lacquer stuck in the needle valve.

Anyhoo there's a passage which goes from the pilot jet through to the throat of the carb, unfortunately this goes through a 90 degree turn before exiting in the carb's throat, if this is still dirty it could cause the problem your having, as could a bit of lacquer that has come loose and is now blocking either main, pilot jet or one of the passages.

Also another thought, as you're running premix make sure the little brass pipe on the carb, where the oil feed pipe used to go has been properly blocked off

Edit: they do smoke a bit when cold, and should not be so smoky once warmed up, however if I go up a long steep hill, by the time I'm at the top it does smoke more, but does goes away, I believe this is because the float level changes as you go up an incline and temporarily floods the carb once you level out.

Edited by ourian

The only way to ensure a carb is properly clean is by using an air line and blow gun with a small nozzle to force any dirt or moisture through and out of all the nooks & crannies that exist in a carb, a workshop air compressor is as essential as spanners for bike maintenance.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Although some will warn against it, I've successfully used fine, used (steel) guitar strings, to "chase" internal carb passages, that were not straight--though never around a 90-degree bend.  (Guitar strings are not recommended as, being made of steel, they are harder than the [aluminum?] carb body.  That said, my feeling is that I can use a light enough touch so as not to gouge/deform the carb body's internal passages.  And so far, so good.)

I should add that I've done this in conjunction with a chemical immersion-type cleaner, alternating with 125psi of compressed air, but only small (lawn mower/generator/chainsaw) engines--no motorcycles--yet. 

I, too, want to get an ultrasonic cleaner, and leave the petrochemicals behind, as my "shop" is in the basement (poor ventilation).

And, not to hijack the OP's thread but, if anyone can recommend an ultrasonic cleaner--especially, one big enough to accept small, automobile carbs, that would be much appreciated--I'm in the U.S.

On 1/12/2017 at 8:24 AM, shakennstirred said:

I have one of these, works great.

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172166562608

WOW!

That's one of the more comprehensive ebay sites i recall seeing.  Their product descriptions are reassuringly-detailed--thanks for pointing me in the right direction!  (Also, I like that they offer so many sizes, some of them quite large--and I thought 105Lb., for the 6L size, was quite reasonable.  Since I need one, and want to also do automotive carbs, I'd rather buy one, big unit, than one smaller unit PLUS one bigger unit--I'm part Scottish, after all--LOL.  ;-)  )

However, sadly, I'm in Trumpistan, formerly known as the USA.  So I would have the power conversion issue to contend with, plus the shipping which, while I have not yet checked with the vendor, is generally expensive, from the UK, IME.  But I will contact them, and see what they say about those two issues.

In the meantime, if anyone has a US-based source for these machines, I'd love to have a link.

Thanks again, shakennstirred!

2StrokesForever

• Like 2

19 hours ago, 2strokesforever said:

WOW!

That's one of the more comprehensive ebay sites i recall seeing.  Their product descriptions are reassuringly-detailed--thanks for pointing me in the right direction!  (Also, I like that they offer so many sizes, some of them quite large--and I thought 105Lb., for the 6L size, was quite reasonable.  Since I need one, and want to also do automotive carbs, I'd rather buy one, big unit, than one smaller unit PLUS one bigger unit--I'm part Scottish, after all--LOL.  ;-)  )

However, sadly, I'm in Trumpistan, formerly known as the USA.  So I would have the power conversion issue to contend with, plus the shipping which, while I have not yet checked with the vendor, is generally expensive, from the UK, IME.  But I will contact them, and see what they say about those two issues.

In the meantime, if anyone has a US-based source for these machines, I'd love to have a link.

Thanks again, shakennstirred!

2StrokesForever

A quick search on eBay turned up this and many more in The land of orange haired narcissists.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Stainless-Steel-6-L-Liter-Industry-Heated-Ultrasonic-Cleaner-Heater-w-Timer-/281725343444?hash=item41982396d4:g:MMgAAOSwTapV3ZB7
  • Like 1