Tips For Buying A Swm

iconic558

As the title guys, the only twinshock i've owned was a late white frame sherpa....which i never gelled with so only having modern gear....monty and beta 250's what should i look for?

Models to avoid....125 any good....few hills in norfolk

parts availabilty...engine...cables...bushes....controls

plastics easy to find

riding experience

rotary or reed valve

anything else you can think of

many thanks gentleman

http://www.motoswm.co.uk/shop/

Martin has all the info, and most of the parts and is real authority on all things SWM.

125 pretty good for a 125, but 240 and 280 better and more common.

One real weakness (on a badly maintained bike) is the kick start / shaft, if used when slack will damage both. Otherwise just the usual things to check on a 30 odd year old bike. Many are well maintained as they tend to attract the more discerning and intelligent buyer.

The kick start can damage the clutch case if a stop is not fitted,and clutches drag as standard.

Edited by b40rt

http://www.motoswm.co.uk/shop/

Martin has all the info, and most of the parts and is real authority on all things SWM.

125 pretty good for a 125, but 240 and 280 better and more common.

One real weakness (on a badly maintained bike) is the kick start / shaft, if used when slack will damage both. Otherwise just the usual things to check on a 30 odd year old bike. Many are well maintained as they tend to attract the more discerning and intelligenceintelligent buyer.

The kick start can damage the clutch case if a stop is not fitted,and clutches drag as standard.

many thanks for your help B)

Physically yes, but I'd go for a 240 or 280 (the 280 is also referred to as 320 but it's actually 280cc) Older twinshock 125 engines are pretty gutless, especially if you're used to modern bikes.

A 240 can be bored to 280.

Older red/white models can be aggressive in the power delivery as they had lighter flywheels, the yellow bikes are smoother. Nice bikes.

Having become a decerning and intelligent buyer recently, to quote B40rt, I would add the only piece of advice I would add is try and buy an SWM where work has been done in the clutch area. Its well known its the bikes short fall, which with some work can be over come. I have a red and white Gunaco and its fine apart from this area. We are in the midst of getting it sorted, but if you wish to keep it strictly SWM then there is some clever work to be done to make it as good as say a Fantic. Just my two Euro's worth, but certainly a great bike.

Bon Chance

• Like 1