Help Needed Before Purchase, Is This A 1980 Tl320?

iconic558

You guys have been a great source of help amazing me with your SWM knowledge and patience with a rookie like myself to the world of the Italian Speedies, but I have another favour to ask.

I believe this TL320 pictured is a 1980....then met a guy yesterday into old twinshocks whom tells me from his memory that a 1980 SWM should be yellow with black frame (tick) but that the frame should have under engine frame tubes intact (ohh), SWM's loosing the lower under engine tubes in 1981...I should add the fella did say that 34 years on his memory could be wrong and that he owned a 1981 Gori, can any one help?

I thought Gori's were always a year behind the SWM's so this one pictured is correct in having no under engine frame tubes....that's a mouthfull (UEFT's)

....just wish to be sure regarding year...buying wrong parts in future from Martin, insuring her etc not a deal breaker, but the bike did come to the vender after being stored for years, he has obviously invested a lot of time and money in her. Bike has Sammy Miller rear shocks, Magicals front springs, new kickstart shaft, new chain/sprockets, grease nipples in headstock with new bearings etc

she's up up for a grand so a nice enough price...shame about the 5 hour drive!

Vender sounds a very genuine and knowledgable guy, a few other bikes in the background always nice to see.

She's only going to be used for twinshocks in the Norfolk Dabbers etc and sections here are tame ('ish), emphasis on fun....I'm an aweful rider and only ride for the laugh, the social side and keep myself active, I don't even tot the dabs up.....all very strange as my idea of enduro competition was the compete opposite.... even erm...relieving myself on the hoof to avoid loosing points...did I say that out loud :blush::lol: but illness means I'm never going to a bringing any more cups home on the enduro/hare 'n hound front...and talent rules out the trials tin.

many thanks for any help gentlemen

post-16909-0-44477100-1415692573_thumb.jpg

post-16909-0-37414400-1415692947_thumb.jpg

post-16909-0-57611100-1415693086_thumb.jpg

post-16909-0-14899600-1415693795_thumb.jpg

Edited by iconic558
  • Like 1

Look on motoswm site, all models/years shown.

Looks like 1980 to me, metal tank, marzocci forks, rear frame loop.

Behind the front no board is a plate that (if original) gives engine and frame no' s, also engine size and year. If numbers agree, rest should also be correct.

Magical springs are aftermarket fork springs/shocks, that should be very good if the price is anything to go by !

That is a 1980 model SWM, the Marzocchi fork, the straight yokes, the steel rear swing arm and the rear frame loop.

Mounted replica's on the bike: front and rear fenders, side panels,

Not Original: Kicker, handlebar with levers and throttle, rear shocks, foot pegs and the foot peg mounts, rear chain cover and front rear plate holder (arm).

Needs attention: lower attachment to the front brake cable hose, the mount is not the right one and looks bend and strange?

Also the brake is already much engaged, probably worn out brake pads.

But what to expect from a bike that will be next year 35 years old, looks tidy and well serviced on the photos, would give it at least a try out.