My Hunt For A Bike Thread

tahoebrian5

Hi trials central, I'm a new guy and am obsessively looking for my first trials motorcycle.

Here is my first post in the introduction forum

http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/topic/53453-hello-from-a-newbie/#entry381375

Anyway I just thought I'd start a thread in case anyone would like to comment or school me on my ongoing hunt. The first thing I've learned about trials riding is the bikes are much harder to find than Motocrossers. The first two offers I had mentioned in my intro post both fell through.

Currently I'm after a 2005 GG pro 300. Guy is wanting 3,000 USD. It's not mint condition but supposedly is in good working order.

Ok. I'll post back up when something happens

In my experience in the hunt, the best advice I can share is know what bike you want and pusue it ruthlessly. You will be surprised how many trials bikes are listed as Trails (spell checker - a 1st world problem) and dont use the key word TRIALS. Many search engines such as Craigs list or ebay then don' t show the bike. Owner gets fewer click-throughs. You get lower price.

Edited by ross brown

At this point I'm not looking for a specific bike. I'm sure whatever I get, knowing how I am, I'll want a new one next year. I've upped my budget to 3k now to open up some options. Also starting to have second thoughts about the GG 05 300 after reading about the starting difficulties. I've been spoiled with e start for quite some time so not looking forward to a tough to start bike. How much difference does the compression spacer make?

Ok, I've got another option.. A 2009 gas gas 280 Econo for about 3k. Would this be a better buy over the 2005 300 for 2900? The Econo model seems to be a bit vague about what it is. Just whatever the factory had lying around?

On buying long distance... PayPal does not offer protection for motor vehicles. I just discovered this. I'm thinking the best way would be to have a motorcycle shop be the middle man. Thoughts on this?

Oh jeez, this is driving me nuts. I need to get a bike soon before my brain overloads

I saw that Evo and talked to the guy. He already has an offer. 5k is more than I have currently so I was trying to do a partial trade for my carbon jamis mtb. I just got off the phone with Crystal at lewisport. I did mention I was obsessing! I'm trying for the 2009 econo for 3k and if that doesn't work I'll probly get the 05

• Like 1

Buy a second hand trials bicycle and start static balance practice and ever tightening fig 8's while you search for a motorcycle? Bicycle will allow you to do static balance inside the house where its cosy through impending winter... if you are bringing motorcycle inside house for static practice like we do thats great as well.

Mags

My wife is pretty good about dealing with my obsessions. Bringing the motorcycle inside the house might be just pushing my luck a bit :)

I have tried static balancing on my moutain bike in my garage.. Very difficult for me! Great practice though, the moto I'm hoping will feel a bit easier with low tire pressure.

Ok, dumb question .. The Econo model I'm after apparently does not have a tubeless wheel in the rear. I probably won't know the difference at first. Maybe even never? What do you guys think about this? Do you get the same feel by using the Nuetech tubliss system to convert it to tubeless? Or am I going to want to buy a new wheel at some point?

I guess the other main difference in the Econo model is the forks are different. Anybody have any feedback on them?

Edited by tahoebrian5

Just managed a solid ten seconds on my mtn bike! For me that is progress. I've been trying to use the method shown in Ryan Youngs video where you just use the bars. I just realized that you have to consciously dig in with the tire to get it to do anything. I'm sure it's easier on a moto with the tire dug into the dirt but I think this realization is something I may never have noticed on the moto. Plus one for cross training!

Ok everything is going well with the 09 txt 280 Econo. I'm trying to arrange for the owner to drop it off at a shop tomorrow for a look over by the mechanic. If all goes well I will send payment and have it crated for shipping by the end of the day. Watch out novice class, here comes an old guy with poor balance! Well someone has to provide entertainment right?

The econo probably should have a tubeless rim just the older type that uses a thick rim tape to seal rather than the rim with a flange for the 2 piece spokes. Chances are that the previous owner had problems with sealing the spokes & ended up fitting a tube