Perfect Tyre Pressure

techno94

Variables are riders weight, alot of schoolboys can and do ride with next to nowt as they are so light,

Tyre make Michelins run better at higher than IRC,

Rocks need higher than mud, Set at start a little less and check before sections as they tend to gain a bit when riding,

etc etc.

Irun 4.5 in michelins and 3 to 4 in IRC

Yep - agree with all above. Depends on your weight. Also amazing what a difference it can make running a higher pressure on rocks where grip is not a great problem. That extra bit of bounce can flatten a rockery nicely. I think if you've got the energy to bother it can make a hell of a difference dropping the pressure for mud, raising it for rocks etc. Need an air canister, or a handpump and a bit of elbow grease.

I agree with what has been said on here, but I believe that Dougie once said not to let your tyres down too much or it closes up the treads and gives you less grip. Might be a good idea to find out how much this is and make sure you stay above it?

There is no perfect pressure. Usually no matter what I keep 4 to 4.5 lbs. in the front as that seems to grip well and not bang the rim. For the back...

Well I usually get low enough that it squats when on a rock edge meaing the block treads are squeezing the landscape tight. Usually for dry days its around 4.5 to 5. Then on wet days 3 to 4.

Glad to be of service. :blink::wall:

As you can see, you can get in the ballpark, and begin to work with personal preference.

It's one of those questions that gets asked several times a year, and it might seem like one of those useless things, because everybody has their own opinion, and even if you do come up with something that's "right", it may not work for someone else simply because their gauge is different.

Occasionally, though, someone new to trials posts, and it turns out they've been running 15psi and can't figure out why he/she isn't getting any traction on slippery hills.

• 4 weeks later...

It was dry and sunny at the last trial I was at. I set off with 3 in the back and 5 in the front. No problems with grip all day, checking the tyres after the trial showed 4.2 in the back and 6.5 in the front! (same tyre gauge).

I usually set off with 4 and 6 and sometimes struggle, obviously the tyres warming up and increasing the pressure makes more difference than I thought :rolleyes:

Does anyone have any tyre presssure suggestions for a 4-5 stone (70 pounds'ish) kid on a Beta Minitrial rev'n'go 50cc?

Thanks