Tell Me Model Year Beta Differences

19delta

My Dad and I both are looking to upgrade our current rides. He has a 97 250 beta techno, and I ride an 02 Beta rev 3 270. He is currently looking at a 2007 beta. I have just started my research. I have awhile before I make my purchase. We both like how our bikes have so much torque and are smooth.... not jumpy. He rides nov/int and I ride int/sp.

Is there a timeline somewhere that shows what model years were what? I have read that Beta jumps around from year to year making one bike for the clubman, and the next year for the world class rider. What years should us clubman look for and what year should we avoid? I think I will be looking at bikes in the 07-2011 range. Whats the diffs?

What will be the big advantage over the 07+ bikes vs our current bikes? (example, the biggest difference between his and mine, his front feels very heavy)

Lastly, I know I'm posting in the Beta section, but is there any other bike we should consider? In our area the Beta and Sherco are by far the most common. (other than gasgas, but both of us are not to excited about those).

Thanks for any, and all input!

I have a 250 techno 98 250 and 125 2004 rev3 and 125 Gas Gas,Pro just sold my 250 rev 3 to my grandson,never had any problems with my Beta's ,but i only ride Novice trials,Gas Gas feels a lot lighter than the Beta,but prefer the better suspension of the Beta http://www.betausa.com/node/751

Edited by bilks

Owned 09, 10, 11 + 12 models of Beta. No problems, 09's cracked frames but mine was and still is ok, I heard that it was Betas being pushed to the limits in the hands of expert riders that suffered the frame failures. No noticeable difference in engine performance between the 09, 10 +11 250's. The 12 was a 200 (prefered the 250's though). I rode a 2007 Beta 250 REV3 back to back against my 2010 EVO and did not think the EVO was a significant improvement, a bit better, but not night and day difference. I would not hesitate to by a REV3 if the price/condition was better than an EVO, but try before you buy any make.

• Like 1

Thanks to all for all the info! Much appreciated!

Does anyone have any input on how much difference there is from a 250 evo to a 290 evo? Is the 290 harder to start? Is it more responsive or twitchy? My dad and I both like that smooth power that starts down low. I feel that my 2002 beta rev 3 270 is like a diesel freight train. We are both about 5'9" and both weigh around 170-175.

Another question, how much more would you be willing to pay to have an 09+ evo versus an 07/08 rev 3?

The revs have more room as the Evo feels cramped.

We aren't tall guys. I often feel stretched out on my rev 3. How tall are?

I would advise against the `09. Why buy the year with teething issues?

So your ok with a 2010+??

Sorry for the all the questions! This isn't me arguing, this is me trying to suck all I can from your knowledge!

I can't agree that the Rev 3 is "well outdated" as the main difference from the Evo is the linkage on the latter's rear suspension. At intermediate level I can't see many folk making significant use of any benefit there may be from that. And the Rev mudguards would appear to be sturdier.

Either way I'd go for the 200 as it has very a smooth power delivery and plenty enough torque - I was able to use third in some tightish sections on Sunday to overcome the lack of traction due to the frozen ground. I'm twelve to thirteen stone. Don't write a 200 off without trying one - it was designed specifically for British going (if that's where you are).

Edited by 2stroke4stroke
  • Like 1

We aren't tall guys. I often feel stretched out on my rev 3. How tall are?

So your ok with a 2010+??

Sorry for the all the questions! This isn't me arguing, this is me trying to suck all I can from your knowledge!

Beta has always been a bad buy on there first year models. 1990 Zero, 1994 Techno, 2000 Rev3, 2009 Evo. All were not the bike to have. I have always liked Beta, but those were the dogs.
  • Like 2

Don't write a 200 off without trying one - it was designed specifically for British going (if that's where you are).

We are in Northern Indiana, USA, and we get our share of mud also. I would love to ride a 200, 250 and 290, and will ask if I ever see the chance! (which I likely will it our first event, as its a bigger two day event)

• Like 1

We are in Northern Indiana, USA, and we get our share of mud also. I would love to ride a 200, 250 and 290, and will ask if I ever see the chance! (which I likely will it our first event, as its a bigger two day event)

The only rider I ever heard from Indiana was Stephen Oehrle. A 250 is all you need at that altitude.