My 2003 Rev3 Rebuild

tt3506spd

Hello all

This is the rebuild of my 2003 Rev3 250, a little backround with trials bikes for me: I first got to ride a Trials bike at my uncles place around 2011 and got to ride his evo 250 and from then i was hooked i went back later and went for a proper ride on his 2005 Rev3 250 and got even more into it. How ever where I live in FNQ there are not many trials bikes aroundso untill a few monts ago i could not find one.

The bike i brought was advertised as a 2005 with out doing much reasearch i brought it after looking at it, ther were a few things a first that was wrong with it like bad wheel bearings, a cracked intake boot, bent bars and not being easy to start ect. after getting it home and going throug it i found milky box oil after the bloke who i brought it off said it was his girls bike, i thought that it was only in there because of being droped in a creek or something.... that was the start of things..... after going through the fluids a took it for a little ride around the yard after shutting it off i found the engine a bit hot and the box oil was milky i decide to change the oils again and watched the coolant without the cap on while running the bike all good.... put the cap on and after a little ride the same thing. I decided to pull off the exhaust pipe and found a badly scored up cylinder it all went down hill from there.....cylinder and piston trashed, crank had play, :wall:

10636868_832244736799659_836368275554461

10633704_832244766799656_591381421523487

10658626_832244756799657_841476366862358

Part way through the strip down

DSC_0278.jpg

I don't have pics of the bore but this is the piston...

DSC_0496.jpg

DSC_0493.jpg

More pics of the engine

DSC_0333.jpg

DSC_0334.jpg

After some investigation the P.O. installed the water pump seal backwards.....what an idiot

DSC_0339.jpg

After going through things and got parts order (Big thanks to the Beta importer here in Aus David Ryan!) Sand blasted and paint sriped parts of the bike and engine and sprayed them in 2 pac precious silver pearl which matched the origional colour, and it turned out great! and after sending the cylinder and piston away to get the cylinder re coated

DSC_0482.jpg

DSC_0484.jpg

DSC_0483.jpg

sorry for the bad pic

DSC_0489.jpg

During the rebuild.

DSC_0499.jpg

DSC_0502.jpg

DSC_0500.jpg

I replaced most of the bearing in the box and crank seals and bearings ect. here it sits now :D

DSC_0501.jpg

And now to find the head studs......

• Like 4

Nice job on the paint! Are you going to paint the front two connecting frame bars? (I'm sure that isn't the official name) I always thought they would look good in a semigloss black, or in a fender matching beta red. I have a Rev 3, I hope you will paint them so I can see what it looks like! :popcorn:

Edited by 19delta

Thanks everyone for the replies, yes it has gone through a full engine rebuild and sadly i paid $2200 for it as they are rare where i live and didn't know how bad the internals were, I didn't need any special tools for the engine but stuff like circlip pliers, a press to get the case together and a rattle gun, which you might call special tools is what i all ready have (and a big shed). I didn't decide to paint the connecting frame bars as i like just the brushed alloy look might look a bit out of place.

Time to go fire it up!

• Like 1