Beta Rev 3 Not Starting

justdug

Hi I was wondering if anyone would be able to give me some advice.

I've got a Beta 250 rev 3 2007 I believe, anyway it usually starts first kick but today when i was about to load it up to go out i thought i'd give it a go starting it but I just couldn't get her started.

I had her out last weekend and from freezing cold started first kick, no problems at all, but then i had to cancel going out and put her back into the shed on the side stand while i ran back in the house and yup left the fuel and choke left on, went back in few hours later to chain her up and park her back in her normal spot and noticed that it had dumped all it's fuel tank on the deck (****) I imagine it was down to choke and fuel being left on.

So anyway today I filled her back up petrol and nothing, changed spark plug nothing, took carb off gave it a clean up make sure nothing swimming about and all seemed fine, changed air filter aswel.

I had my concerns about bike before when i was out i parked it up on side stand for 10 min with the fuel on and went back to start her and she wouldn't start, switched the fuel off and she started on the second kick then i just put fuel back on and she was fine.

Any ideas on what to try next would be great, I've not managed to take the spark plug out on the lead and check the spark against the body as it was alkward as hell so only thing i can imagine, the guy i bought the bike from did say the stator has been done recently,

Cheers

Doug

You have flooded the bottom end with fuel. If it is real bad you can also fill the header. If it is just flooded a little bit, it can be cleaned out by removing the plug and kicking it thru about twenty times. Caution this can cause a fire. Move the plug cap away from the cylinder and if possible hold the kill button while kicking.

Replace the plug and hold the throttle wide open with no choke. Make sure the exhaust is pointed away from anything you want to stay clean. If it does not start, pull plug and check if is wet. A wet plug will not start a bike. Good luck!

Cheers for the help Lineaway, did what you said and started first kick with the throttle wind open, ya didn't say it was gonna take off like mad I S**T myself lol but she sooned died down a little and back to normal!

Thanks again

cheers

Doug

• 5 years later...

I have the same problem, if I’ve flooded the header too, then is the solution the same?  I’v taken off carb, replaced fuel, am getting good spark, and have removed plug and kicked it over.  Tried easy start basically everywhere, but still nothing.  Initially the bike fired straight up, then just died and hasn’t started since.  The plug is new, but each time I remove it is wet?

• 3 months later...
On 1/18/2015 at 7:11 PM, lineaway said:

You have flooded the bottom end with fuel. If it is real bad you can also fill the header. If it is just flooded a little bit, it can be cleaned out by removing the plug and kicking it thru about twenty times. Caution this can cause a fire. Move the plug cap away from the cylinder and if possible hold the kill button while kicking.

Replace the plug and hold the throttle wide open with no choke. Make sure the exhaust is pointed away from anything you want to stay clean. If it does not start, pull plug and check if is wet. A wet plug will not start a bike. Good luck!

Hi mate how do u unlock bottom end thanks 

Depends on what you mean locked up. If it is just fuel, drain your tank. Remove the head pipe. Remove the spark plug. Kick it slowly, with the kill button pushed. At this point you could turn the bike upside down to get it to drain. Be careful with all the fuel and fumes. If it still is locked up it is possible you bent the rod.