Impressions Of My 4rt

wardo

Now that I have a number of hours on my 4RT I thought I'd commit some of my impressions to ether. Firstly, here in New England the bikes are fairly rare compared to the ubiquitous Gas Gas, Sherco and Beta armadas. After riding mine, I attribute this mostly to price, it isn't easy for people to justify the price difference between the 2t's and the 4RT. I am not sure the case can be made for the price difference, but I appreciate the excellent build quality, as well as the performance of my bike.

I am an 45 y.o. intermediate rider who has been racing off-road for 35+ years, and riding trials allot for the last 15 months. I don't hop like a bunny, but floaters and medium steps are doable.... I've been riding an '04 Sherco 2.9 and had a Gas Gas 300 pro for 6 months. When I first rode my COTA I noticed that the 41t rear sprocket was a bit quick, that it was pushing a bit and it was a bit heavier than my Sherco. The push was easy to tune out, I put a 43t sprocket on and voila, instant gratification. I do notice the weight, but it feels more grounded than the other bikes... a feeling I like. It turns well and responds to inputs readily. Floaters are a pleasure and overall the bike feels very well balanced. I expected a considerably steeper learning curve then I actually experienced. I was cleaning virtually all of my practice sections after 2 rides on the bike, and 3 or 4 obstacles I never was able to ride before, much less clean... some of these are fairly difficult for my skill level, but repetition has made them ridable for me. The dealer removed the front and middle restrictors, which I plan on reinstalling and experimenting with. I ride on my own property, right next to neighbors houses, so I like quite. With just the rear restrictor in, the sound seems very reasonable. In certain instances the bike just grunts through stuff that my 2t's spun in, there is certainly plenty of motor for my riding. It does seem to really want your weight to the rear to maintain traction, but if I remember to do this it just hooks right up. I put on some 3/4" rear set pegs that have been residing on my Sherco, and this seemed to help. I think I'll try the Mitani set backs as well. The clutch action is often critisized, but it seems fine to me. I've tried riding without slipping the clutch as well as the 2t technique of sliping virtually 100% of the time, I've arrived at a compromise where I use it less than previously, but still quite a bit. I may try the larger master cylinder, but not because I think it needs it. The suspension seems a huge step up from the Sherco, which really lacks any adjustment ability. The Gas Gas was better, but I still think the Showa units are the best I've ridden by a good margin.

There is one obstacle that the COTA and I haven't figured out yet, it involves riding onto an off camber rock, then jumping to another with the camber reversed. On my Sherco, as long as it is dry, I would just jump and plant the rear wheel. My 4RT spins the wheel as soon as it lands, making for some exciting recoveries... I know I'll master it in time, it is probably a very small adjustment in my riding that I just haven't identified yet.

I learned early on that trials bikes are very subtle, and getting one tuned to your particular riding style is a time consuming task. Very little adjustments seem to make large differences in the way the bike works for me. Therefore, I am very happy with how easy the transition to the 4RT has been. I am confident that over the coming months my fiddling will allow me to take my riding to the next level. The build quality is outstanding, the engine is a pleasure, and the chassis felt like home the second I hopped on it. Overall, I am totally satisfied with my bike. It meets or exceeds all my expectations. Finally, I'd like to thank the members of the forum for sharing their knowledge, it has been invaluable in making the transition successful.

Regards,

Wardo

Honestly, I'm surprised other (4RT/4T/4XYZ) folks haven't responded on your thread.

Glad you've enjoyed your bike so much. New bikes are just cool.

Have you since mastered the off-camber rock hop? I wonder if having your weight just a tad further back might help, or perhaps running one gear higher? What other things have you tried?

Mike

Seems like you have the right bike for you, grunt is there on 2 strokes and spin is directly rlated to throttle control, I doubt that the result of spin or grip cpuld not be adjusted by detuning the 2t.

In your support of 2-Strokes, a couple of the positives on 4-Strokes get pointed out:

"spin is directly related to throttle control" - True, and the 2-Stroke is much more sensative to this truth. By only firing on every other stroke, the 4-Stroke makes this truth, less true. The side effect is that the 4-stroke bike can be ridden as successfully as a 2-Stroke bike, with less throttle control.

"I doubt that the result of spin or grip could not be adjusted by detuning the 2t" - True, but the result is a "detuned" 2-Stroke. The grip and enhanced spin control is a natural side effect of the 4-stroke engine's low end performance and grunt, without a compromise to the mid range & top end being necessary.

The problem with the 4-Stroke trials bike is that VERY few people like their first ride experience, (or second ride, or third ride...). The characteristics of the bikes are SO different from a 2-Stroke, that a rider basically has to ride one long enough to start un-learning their 2-Stroke skills, and replace them with new 4-Stroke skills. If you are just sampling bikes, to see how you like 4-Strokes, the odds are pretty slim that it will be a positive experience. I chuckle at the number of test riders that get off my bike and say, "Thats really neat, I like it", when you know they didn't! They are just WAY different from a 2-Stroke, and until you invest some meaningful time in learning to ride one, you miss the advantages that it can bring to the party. The second consideration then becomes whether those advantages are applicable, or useful, for the area and type of terrain that you ride. Where we are, in far south Texas, most of the stuff we ride is off camber, tight, traction limited (either too wet, or too dry), etc. so the 4-Stroke really shines. Someone who hops and bops through the rocks, leaping giant ledges with a single bound, may not appreciate or benefit from the 4-Stroke characteristics.

Thanks for the responses, the day after I posted here I pegged the off camber rock hop... I have no idea what I did differently, it just stuck. I keep being amazed at what this bike will stick to, then occasionally I'll just land and spin.... It is obvious to me that although I feel very comfortable on the bike, the subtle differences are taking a while to adapt to. Still, when I apply the skills I have acquired it allows me to do things I was unable to do before. I do think that MikeID has a point, new bikes are cool, and the sheer excitement of having such a great bike allows me to advance. Still, I think the bike is substantially better for me. I also think DGShannon has a good point, the 4rt is different and takes allot of adapting. I felt comfortable immediately on mine, but my rapid improvement on it shows that I am relearning skills I had already mastered on my Sherco. I really do love it, and at this point wouldn't trade it for any other. One thing I didn't mention in my original review is how much I love the fuel injection. The bike starts hot, cold, crashed etc with one or two push throughs (kicks without the oomph). It runs clean from cold and no rejetting for different temperatures and altitudes is a big plus for me... I hate jetting and don't miss it in the least.

Regards,

Wardo

Edited by wardo