Rtl Oil Cooler

jj65

Hi shedracer,

It is vital to use the 8mm plug when fitting an oil cooler as it closes a gallery and diverts oil into the cooler. If it is not fitted the oil will just return into the crankcase. I made mine by cutting one from the shank of an 8mm drill bit.

I was a little concerned that the oil pressure would not be sufficient to feed oil back to the camshaft with the line being piggybacked to the crankcase return. All was OK however and this should be checked by removing the camshaft cover and turning the motor over by hand. If everything is done correctly and the pump is in good condition, just slowly turning the motor should push oil through the camshaft.

• Like 2

Cheers jkmr1, very helpful, I know quite a few people who are contemplating fitting an oil cooler, including myself, so thanks for very helpful info.

You may or may not remember, I was very interested in your bike, unfortunately, due to your location, I wimped out of buying it, but hopefully it went to a good home. Your bike build, as well as a few others, really got me thinking, so thank you for giving me the inspiration needed to do mine (although I'm learning it can be quite frustrating at times, but also very rewarding). :-)

Cheers.

Hi shedracer,

I do remember and am pleased to have inspired you to locate and build one. I'm sure you will do it justice. Yes I do remember your interest in acquiring mine. It ended up in a collection owned by Paul Arnett who is the owner of the Hell Team Trials store here in Australia. (Swapped it for a new JTG 300). For me the pleasure came from the build rather than owning or riding it.

It can be frustrating, especially sourcing parts and information. The best provider of info I encountered was doctlrrtl. His information on the fitment of the cooler was invaluable and I am pretty sure without it I would have got it wrong.

Cheers

• Like 2

Your bike is very nice and thanks for the photos, but can you give some technical information please. Why have you choosen to do it like you have etc.

:)

13445_DSCF7254.jpg

29832_DSCF7255.jpg

99407_DSCF7256.jpg

Edited by jj65
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...