Leaky Carb

hrmad

It's never a bad idea to clean the carb out.

As people have mentioned cleaning inlet valve seat, I will add to check the tip of the valve it's self.

It has what appears (but isn't) a rubber tip and it can get creased or damaged.

I once received a brand new carb that someone had forced the valve into the seat, creasing a ring right around the tip causing it to flood like buggery!

The valve looks like this with the black tip (the seat is the brass part that screws into the carb body)

http://www.bikebandit.com/aftermarket-parts/motorcycle-fuel-and-air/carb-kits-parts-accessories-universal/mikuni-needle-valve-with-viton-tip-solid-needle-stem-for-spigot-flange-mount-carburetors

Damage, grit or stale fuel staining can cause the valve not to close properly, leading to the float bowl flooding (as you have)

These days fuel tends to stain (green furry crap) the internals of carbs really quickly if left in there a week or two, so it's not a bad idea to drain the carb after use.

Once you are sure it's clean and damage free, set the float height as descrided in the link.

Fuel from the tank really needs filtering to stop grit and muck from the fuel tank, so it worth fitting (or replacing) the inline filter, they are cheap enough to change regularly.

I'll get an inline filter, my friend with the airline said it would be a good idea to get a new valve too.

I've cleaned out the airbox whilst at it, it needed it for sure.

I'm having trouble putting it back onto the bike. Am I doing this the right way- needle valve in first, then metal clip, then spring, then throttle cable? The throttle isn't turning right. I am not good with mechanics, I am trying, but I tend to get into trouble real quick! So I hope this isn't a dumb question

I'll get an inline filter, my friend with the airline said it would be a good idea to get a new valve too.

I've cleaned out the airbox whilst at it, it needed it for sure.

I'm having trouble putting it back onto the bike. Am I doing this the right way- needle valve in first, then metal clip, then spring, then throttle cable? The throttle isn't turning right. I am not good with mechanics, I am trying, but I tend to get into trouble real quick! So I hope this isn't a dumb question

Check the throttle end of the cable to make sure the inner and outer cables are sitting where they should be they can get moved when they have no spring tension on them,

Steve,

• Like 1

Unconnect the other end of the cable from the throttle at the handlebars, this gives you slack in the cable to work with.

Fit the carb's "Screw" top to the other end of the cable first, then the spring.

Now hook the nipple through the slot inside the slide/valve.

Now fit odd shaped metal cable retainer inside the slide (note how the bent side fits into slot to stop the cable sliding in the slot)

You may need to pull and hold the spring back a little to jig it into place.

Hold that end upright (so the cable retainer doesn't drop out again and reconnect the other end of the cable back to the throttle.

It should all now hold it's self togther with a little pressure of the spring/cable.

Place the slide/spring into the top of the carb.

Rotate the slide in the carb top so the groove up the outside edge of the slide locates into a pin inside the carb body.

Once it's located in the groove it will pop down with a metallic "snap" as it hits the bottom.

Screw the top on and test (before you fire it up)

Blip the throttle, when releasing the throttle the slide should snap shut with that "snap" again in the carb.

Edited by goudrons
  • Like 2

Unconnect the other end of the cable from the throttle at the handlebars, this gives you slack in the cable to work with.

Fit the carb's "Screw" top to the other end of the cable first, then the spring.

Now hook the nipple through the slot inside the slide/valve.

Now fit odd shaped metal cable retainer inside the slide (note how the bent side fits into slot to stop the cable sliding in the slot)

You may need to pull and hold the spring back a little to jig it into place.

Hold that end upright (so the cable retainer doesn't drop out again and reconnect the other end of the cable back to the throttle.

It should all now hold it's self togther with a little pressure of the spring/cable.

Place the slide/spring into the top of the carb.

Rotate the slide in the carb top so the groove up the outside edge of the slide locates into a pin inside the carb body.

Once it's located in the groove it will pop down with a metallic "snap" as it hits the bottom.

Screw the top on and test (before you fire it up)

Blip the throttle, when releasing the throttle the slide should snap shut with that "snap" again in the carb.

Thank you , thank you, thank you! She's back together again and the throttle is returning properly.

• Like 2