Tyre Pressure Question

toetoe

A few weeks ago, I went to a shop to buy a spare part for my 2013 gas gas, while waiting a chap was being served and he asked the shop keeper how much pressure should I have in the back tyre, the keeper replied at least four maybe four and a half so i said to the customer, I'm on three at the moment because iv just put a new Michelin on and the walls of the tyre seems much stiffer and i'm struggling to get grip, the keeper then replied if you can't get grip with four pound pressure then you are doing something wrong, i kept my tyre at around three and at a trial yesterday, a very good rider, doing the hard route said to me, i would let some air out of your back tyre, i told him it was on about three and he said well let some more out and guess what, it worked, i got better grip. I am very much a novice so I value any bits of knowledge or tips i can get hold off and i'm well aware of contridiction in the trial world but I would like to hear other peoples view on the subject.  

The Michelin X11 is quite stiff when new but you could follow the advice we got off Graham Jarvis which was to drop it to 1 psi and just run up and down the road a few times. Then raise it to 3.5 or 4psi It "breaks" the side wall in if you aren't a "spalt" type rider and allows it to follow the ground better. X-lites would be better about 4 psi as they seem to have a thinner sidewall. It could also be that you are lighter than expected. I'd  be trying 3 to 4 in that case.

thanks telecat, the tyre is a x11 and you have jogged my memory even further, the chap at the shop said if we run them at less than 4 psi then it will damage the wall of the tyre, also i am now around eleven to eleven and a half stone which brings me to another point, how can we state an exact amount of psi when we are all diferent weight, one of my friends i ride with is now around the eighteen stone mark, so it wouldn't do for him to ride on the same psi as me, i think my skill level does have a lot to do with not getting enough grip but by dropping the psi yesterday i certainly noticed a difference.

I've never had a low pressure gauge, I set the rear so it squashes half way with a light bounce on the bike I'd guess around 8 psi.

The front, I run quite hard about 15-20 psi. I found this out by accident as I forgot to let the front down at a trial and only noticed when re inflating after washing. I recalled the bike being much better at this pressure so I run around the same pressure all the time now, If some one had said to me, try 15 in the front, I would have politely said o.k I'll give it a try, and thought to myself their on drugs and not bother even trying it.

Tyre pressure is personal preference, each to their own, Some people will think I'm nuts to run that high in the front but even in the slippery stuff I can still pull a rolling stoppie down a steep hill and the bike steers better too. Also I can get the weight on the front when needed to dig the tire into a camber instead of it rolling off the rim.

I'm running x-lights but with other tyres I would imagine lower pressures are needed.

People tend to follow the herd and regard a certain pressure as the magic number, Get a foot pump and a pressure gauge and go experimenting at a practice day to see what feels best for you.

I seldom use a gauge, but when I do, it's usually around 3-4 in the rear and about 6 in the front. I just push my thumb in the center of the tread and if I can push it about halfway to the rim, it's good. The front I only push in a little bit and it's good.

It isn't just rider weight and tyres, but also terrain makes a difference.

I've been told that hard terrain, like mostly rocks, it's easier to control with higher pressure.

But slippery, muddy roots, the softer I can go, the better.

Like Steve Earle says, it's about preference.

I have a few sections that I ride every weekend. If I want to try something new, this is where I go. I have ridden these sections hundreds of times and know what my bike can and can't do, any slight change becomes noticeable.

If I were to make a change at an event or a new practice section, how would I know if it was better or worse without a basis for comparison.

Every scientist will tell you that you have to have a base line or a "control" subject.

Find a place you love to ride and ride the heck out of it. Then make some changes and ride it some more.

You'll figure out what works and what doesn't.

I really suck at suspension changes, so I have to be systematic like this to get it right, and even then, I usually just guess and ride.

I'm, all about riding and having fun.

Trophies are just a bonus for a good day and getting lucky.

I ride in snow, mud, dry rocks and steep hills; there are all sorts of variables for each terrain, bike, tire, rider, and so on.

Foot placement on the pegs, peg placement, bar level, levers and so on, everything comes into play when you are searching for the perfect set up.

Just ride, a lot, and you'll learn.

• Like 1