Domino Throttle Bracket Stripping/breaking Too Easily?

jml

Hey all, 

When installing my throttle back on the other day I noticed that the bolt just kept tightening with very little force. After a few more turns I noticed that the lower bar clamp was actually separating from the upper portion of the clamp. After taking it all apart and inspecting it looks like the bolt has pulled the nut through the plastic and I've ruined the lower portion of the clamp. You cannot buy only the lower portion of the clamp so I've had to use my spare, just wondering if anyone has ran across the same issue? 

Bike is the Beta EVO 2010 with OE factory bars. 

Regards,  :wall:

Edited by jml

No, cant say i have, though i am always conscious about over tightening. They are pretty cheap though. I remember the old amal throttle bodies made in alloy (the dominos are basically a plastic copy) and they were brilliant, you could really tighten them.

No, cant say i have, though i am always conscious about over tightening. They are pretty cheap though. I remember the old amal throttle bodies made in alloy (the dominos are basically a plastic copy) and they were brilliant, you could really tighten them.

The bodies really are cheap, I couldn't even get it to 3Nm before it shredded the lower clamp, now I'm doing it without the torque wrench and just using an Allen key with the short end of the Allen key between my thumb and index finger as this reduces how hard I can crank it down. It would just be nice if you could order the lower clamp without having to buy the whole damn thing as this is what fails first. 

The plastic Dominos have been around more than two decades. Never heard of this problem, but the again never heard of someone using a torque wrench on one.  

Manual shows a torque of 3Nm for them, as I have nfi what I'm doing I just followed the manual. Lesson learnt. 

The plastic Dominos have been around more than two decades. Never heard of this problem, but the again never heard of someone using a torque wrench on one.  

I suppose experience probably tells you whats right but Ive never heard of anyone using a torque wrench much on a trials bike, let alone a throttle anyway.

I always set mine up so it wont turn on the bars I would assume thats less than 3nm? Always make sure the bars are perfectly clean and pinch the exposed joint up tight first so as to stop mud getting in. Set it up so its as far "in" as it can be without fouling bar end.

Always make sure the bars are perfectly clean and pinch the exposed joint up tight first so as to stop mud getting in.

Can you explain this further? 

you have two pinch bolts so tighten the front one exposed to mud etc first. Theres lots of little things you can do which really dont make much difference but together can help the overall performance of the bike.

This is not meant in anyway except helpful but what would be good for you would be to get someone who knows to show you how to fettle a bike?

You can start with controls how to take a throttle apart lube and re-instate perfect position and lube cable and adjust (and check) free play. Adjust tickover and re-check, lock to lock.

Once done it probably wont need much looking after at all. Controls are probably the most important thing to get 100% on a bike.

What bike do you have?