Beta Evo Re-Bore

awashington46

Or Splatshop or Phoeton Aptec. PA do a bore material superior to the original.

Edit - make sure any steel parts are removed from the barrel, the chemicals used will dissolve them.

Edited by dadof2
  • Like 1

It's not rebored as such, but the plating is stripped and reapplied to match a new piston.

This is what I was told years ago when this plating became common.

The pistons often come in several sizes, usually marked A, B, C and D, each microns bigger than the one before, the idea is after X amount of use, the bore and piston is measured and the appropriate piston, if needed is fitted.

Once the last size has been exceeded a new A piston is bought and supplied to the replating company to start all over again.

Which is why all the owners handbooks state they need checking after X hours use.

What tends to happen is the bore gets worn so much before it causes any running issues (or any are noticed), that no matter which piston is fitted it's still not big enough and a replate is the only option.

Then whatever piston the supplier has (to hand, most of, got left) gets shipped and the barrel is plated to that one.

I've had a few barrels replated, as Zero points out, by Langcourts of Weston Super Mare, their work seems to be very good and turnaround is usually within a week if sent direct, but choice is limited as there isn't many that do it, they nearly all farm out to Langcourts!

I've only ever had to do one Beta that over heated badly (before I got it), generally the plating of Beta's is quite good when it comes to wear, but it's obviously prone to damage by excess heat, lack of lubrication or foriegn matter entering the engine.

Edited by goudrons

My Son's Evo 290 was rattling quite badly.  We tried changing the small end and fitted new rings but it made no difference.

We then took the barrel to a guy who measured it accurately.  Lampkin's supplied an oversize piston that accounted for the wear (we are talking less than 0.1mm difference).  The new piston also came with a small end and rings!

I was quite sceptical as we didn't touch the barrel.  However, it is absolutely silent now under all conditions and runs really well.

What I'm trying to say is; it may not actually need a re-bore/re-plate at all.  Just an oversize piston fitted.  Get it measured first.

Hope this helps,

Bruce

Bruce.

• Like 1