Helicoil.

anthony121

Hi everyone. The 2 exhaust studs on my TY175 have been butchered by the previous owner so it looks like I am going to have to helicoil them. I just thought I would check on here to see if anybody else has done them and if there is anything I should watch out for.Thanks.

Hi everyone. The 2 exhaust studs on my TY175 have been butchered by the previous owner so it looks like I am going to have to helicoil them. I just thought I would check on here to see if anybody else has done them and if there is anything I should watch out for.Thanks.

TimeSert bushes are more reliable than Helicoil and available in a range of lengths to suit the depth of the original hole. Will keep thread diameter as standard if you are concerned about oversize.

The main thing is to keep whatever drilling and tapping operations inline with the original hole.Go off centre and you will end up with problems. I use Cross thread inserts which are made very locally to me,excellent product. I also have some Recoil ones which I think were an Aussie product, but I see they are now owned by Alcoa.

I'd try to keep to a standard parallel stud if poss, going larger will limit options later on. My first sentence is by far the most important whichever solution you use.

Good luck.