1St Gear On The Montesa 4Ride

hhadrian1

Was intended as humourous, but no its very rare 2nd gets used and 3rd once in the 8mnths iv had her!

Would I be right in saying that more expert riders like the gearing higher,and less experienced riders like to feel the bike is not running away with them.

On my 4RT for trials, I usually use 1st, may use 2nd in one or two sections at a trial, and rarely use 3rd in sections... maybe one or two sections a season. That's using a 10-42 final drive -- one tooth up on the wheel sprocket.

For trail riding with a 4RT, I almost never use 1st, and I'm usually in 3rd or 4th.

Since you're asking about the 4-RIDE, I think the trail riding is more pertinent. And it looks like Montesa is using gearing changes on the 4-RIDE that will be good for trail riding, with very even jumps gear-to-gear. With a 4RT on trails, I often want a gear higher than 3rd, but 4th is a little too big a jump. And when I want something higher than 4th, 5th is way too big a jump (on trails, if I need it for the road the jump is OK).

Edited by sportsawyer

I use second quite a bit in sections, just depends on the section. I have even gone into many running second the hole ride just to save from needing to shift where it would have ben an inconvenience to go up to second right before a steep hill or larger obstacle.

And I ride stock gears on my 4RT for reference.

Edited by jonnyc21

I use second quite a bit in sections, just depends on the section. I have even gone into many running second the hole ride just to save from needing to shift where it would have ben an inconvenience to go up to second right before a steep hill or larger obstacle.

And I ride stock gears on my 4RT for reference.

Thanks.

Having watched the southern experts trial at Butser lime works

momentum seems to be so important. I cannot quite see how that can be maintained in a very low gear.Interested in understanding how gearing works in a trials bike and how that relates to the 4ride which is a 4rt with more evenly spaced higher gear ratios.

• Like 2

Thanks.

momentum seems to be so important. I cannot quite see how that can be maintained in a very low gear.Interested in understanding how gearing works in a trials bike and how that relates to the 4ride which is a 4rt with more evenly spaced higher gear ratios.

Muddy trials need high gears and momentum as you said, grippy or tight sections need lower gears quite often, you'd get nowhere in the **** in first gear on any bike let alone a 4rt

• Like 1

Thanks.

Exactly

I use 1st in tight stuff (9/42), but where a climb is coming up, I sometimes use 2nd for the whole section or snick up into 3rd for a steep climb (and then just hang on :hyper: )

Between sections on open ground or moors, I quite often enjoy a blast in 5th

The gearbox has gears, to be used

• Like 1

Just bought a new Mont, after my first ride thinking of lowering the gearing slightly from the standard 10/41 but I'm thinking 9 on the front might make it a bit to low geared? Also a trials dealer told me if I run a 9 on the front it will wear the plastic swinging arm guard away? Thanks