Classic Trials

match_garnett

Stiched up.... Here goes,it would help us a bit if you told us a bit more of your previous experience,what sort of trials and what sort of bikes ? Around the South West,Devon esp - the South West Classic Trials Association is a good start.Heading north a bit Somerton Classic MCC are top notch at welcoming newcomers,esp with British bikes.

The main point I would make is that Pre Unit trials bikes don't come up for sale that often - and rarely are fit for immediate use,despite what the ad states.So you really need a well equipped workshop and skills to use them.Or know someone who can sort it out for you.Had you considered a Tiger Cub or C15/B40 to get you going ?

Please don't think I'm trying to put you off,successfully riding a Pre 65 big banger is a VERY rewarding and satisfying thing to do. But you have to really want to do it.

I'm not going to say anything about money,it tends to influence peoples choices, I just chose to do it and make sure my income is capable of funding it...

• Like 4

Hi Guy's.

Now Gav, I think you live in one of  the best parts of the country, as Jon has said for clubs that are Classic trials bike friendly.

I don't know what bike you are considering getting, But although I class the bike a "Britshock Classic" trials bike and a lot more Pre65 than most bikes in this class,

A well put together BSA "Otter" could be a good first bike.

They perform well if put together sensibly, and without all the bling fitted on a lot more bikes in the same class, cost a lot less than others that come onto the market.

Like Jon said you will have to pay a lot more for a Matchless and it will not be trial ready, and if it is, you will again be in the mega bucks arena. And it will cost a lot more to maintain.

OK it may be worth more money but, you must decide what you want from the sport.

Merry Christmas Charlie.

Also consider a Villiers powered two stroke, you really ought to go to a few trials maybe as an observer, talk to riders and if possible get a ride on a few bikes but please remember a bike can feel very different to ride if set up better/worse if you see what I mean.

Edited by trialsrfun

Also consider a Villiers powered two stroke, you really ought to go to a few trials maybe as an observer, talk to riders and if possible get a ride on a few bikes but please remember a bike that can feel very different to ride if set up better/worse if you see what I mean.

NO ! Not the dark side.  :barf:  

• Like 1

Hi Gav, if your in Devon on the 27th, come along to the start of the West of England MC Xmas Trial 27th 10.00am-ish Rising Sun pub car park - Woodland, nr Ashburton. Should be a good turn out of twinshocks & p65's

Cheers Chris

HI Jon,

I have a photo of a man in a recent trial with a Villiers TWIN in a trials bike - now that is not only the dark side - IT'S PITCH BLACK...............................

That would be John Griffin,he has made a nice job of that Greeves,and rides it well. After therapy he has now seen the light and has nearly finished building a rigid Matchless. :thumbup:

Hi all, very keen on starting classic trials, I have done a bit of trials before , I'm from Devon,

Is there any championships around here or clubs I could join?

Any advice on what trial bike to get? I would like a matchless ,

Your help would be great,

Gav

Hi Gav,

One suggestion of a starting point - take a look at our digital magazine, ORRe  - this concentrates on classic sport and includes vast numbers of photographs of recent trials in your area with photoreports of events, so you can get some idea of the sorts of bikes that are being ridden as well as a look at some of the sections.

If you are particularly interested in a Matchless then you have, in the back issues which all come for free, the complete history of the development of the AJS/Matchless trials models over the years with detailed photographs of the various models as well as particular features that would help you verify any potential purchase as being an actual trials model.  

Just a thought!

To find ORRe go to the Homepage and select either the front page feature or the button at the Top Right.

Edited by laird387