Beta 290 Engine Noise

shanga

All,

I'm looking for a little advice on my Beta 290 evo 2010.

Was out yesterday for a few hours and the bike started to whine a little, normally on over run / shut throttle.

It gets worse the warmer the bike gets.  :suicide:

The bike however is still free revving. and has plenty of compression etc.

The only thing I can think off was running down hill on a closed throttle prior to the noise.

Water pump is showing signs of wear but however is a little slack on the shaft. I see there is a higher flow pump option which I may well fit. 

Are there any thoughts on the possible cause.?? Has it been a known issue.

Also where is the best place to get value for money parts. ??? I'm in the UK.

Thanks

Kev

Ring lampkins and they will not only give you advice they will send parts required. reasonable prices and great service. They are top blokes. While since I spoke to them but Gary is the parts man and if necessary he will put you through to the mechanic.

My mates beta had a similar issue and it was dry big end bearing. He dropped 2stroke  oil ( very small amount) through the spark plug hole  and let soak overnight .Ran  next day and noise went away.

• Like 1

Ring lampkins and they will not only give you advice they will send parts required. reasonable prices and great service. They are top blokes. While since I spoke to them but Gary is the parts man and if necessary he will put you through to the mechanic.

My mates beta had a similar issue and it was dry big end bearing. He dropped 2stroke  oil ( very small amount) through the spark plug hole  and let soak overnight .Ran  next day and noise went away.

I can but hope this is the issue and she is a little dry.

going to get a new water pump impeller as it is slack on the shaft anyway.

certainly sounds like that could be the issue, other wise I may have an engine in bits soon.  :crying:

Tried ringing Lampkins, but they are on hols until the 4th Jan.

Does it make the noise all the time? Does it only do it while riding or in neutral too?

Could be clutch noise as they can make a whining sound depending on the gear oil when the bike gets hot.

If it's main bearings they will need replacing along with new seals, Beta recommend checking them after a year or a SSDT!!!!!

You can try putting oil down the plug hole but that will not fix anything what ever the problem is, It will just oil up the exhaust.

running 80 to 1 synthetic oil - putoline.

had run ok so far but maybe a little too lean.

only really makes the noise when warm, I have added some more oil to the fuel and a little down the bore to see if it assists.

other than that its spanner time.

Betas do have a distinctive engine noise with a whine from the clutch as an earlier poster mentioned. It's distinctive enough that you can tell that it's a Beta from some distance. It's a bit like the cam gear whine on a VFR.

If you haven't hared other Betas then it's worth trying to hear one before pulling yours apart.

Pull the flywheel cover off and check it's not mud rubbing on the inside cover, while you are there take out the plug and rotate the engine by hand using the flywheel to see how the mains feel, also check for up and down play by hand on the flywheel.

The mains will have a minute bit of play even when new as the bearing has to be able to expand with heat.

It could be something else but without hearing the bike, can only point to the usual suspects.

Hey Guys,

quick update. I put more oil in the fuel, after checking the water pump and the flywheel cover.

I have ran it and got it up to temperature with no noise occurring.

It way well be that the oil mix was simply to lean. However I do still need to get out and give it a proper run to check.

Thanks for the advice guys.