Ty175 Fork Issue

gasserrobinson

Hi All, 

Got a bit of an issue with my TY175 forks (previous owner largely, seems to have been a bit of a butcher) anyway, long story short i've gone through everything and restored the bike, but having issues with the forks topping out. I have rebuilt all and assembled as per the 'fiche but when I try and 'hop' the bike the forks top out completely. 

What fork oil are people using and how much? 
Or is there something else that I should be looking out for! 

Thanks, 
T

Damping on the TY was never the best so don't have high expectations. I have played about with different oils but eventually just accepted that progress has been made since the Seventies and lived with it.

No doubt they can be made better but it will involve engineering rather than juggling oils. I had thought about a set of yokes and forks off the 250 then fitting one of the cartridge adaptations now available.

I cured the problem with a set of Betors (attached to an SWM

Edited by 2stroke4stroke
  • Like 2

The forks/front end always was the weakest thing on the 175 if you started to push it hard. The damping is of a fairly old design (no surprise considering the age of the bike) as such it needs the thicker oil to work. If you have strong enough springs to stop it bottoming out it tends to top out. It might be worth trying different amounts of oil. So long as you put enough in to cover the damper piston then you can use the air gap as a secondary spring. This does require the o ring seal in the top cap to be in good condition.

As 2stroke4stroke suggested it would require a fair amount on engineering work to fully upgrade the forks to modern damping and springing. Although I'm sure with some inventive thinking it could be upgraded.

• 4 months later...