Mk1 Cota 349 Front Fork Modification

monty349

On my 2007 the best modification I ever did was to change the oil for Red Line ExtraLight 2.5wt Suspension Fluid over the stock 5.0wt.  I did the same to the rear sock and wow what a great change.  

I had to re-set the sag and play with the adjustments a bit to find my happy zone but the bike is much more responsive and feels much lighter now.  

Not sure about a 349 but maybe worth consideration to change the oil viscosity as well?  best of luck.

Edited by jonnyc21

Around that time some Montesas had air valves and very light coil springs in the forks. Springing was air+coil. Mine was like that and I found it was an improvement to get some springs that were the right stiffness so I could run without air pressure in the forks. I can't remember for certain what springs I put in but think they were either Sherpa T fork springs or OSSA MAR fork springs.

A weakness in those forks is the plastic material that the anti-bottoming cones are made from. It spreads/swells over time and can cause the forks to be sticky on full compression. Replacing the parts with aluminium replicas fixes that forever, or if you just want to try to see if it makes a difference, they can be machined back to size.

I find that the damping action of the 348/349 forks is fine with them completely standard, and would not recommend changing the damping action. 15 or 20 WT fork oil works well for me

Magical springs and adjusters is one way to get the spring rate and preload right, but do cost $$$

• Like 1