Hotheaded Sy250!

lastplacebrad

i have an 04 sy250 that seems to get very hot i.e the fan runs almost permenantly and then starts to pink in the mid range when under load, now it has a new tactic of dying completly when the throttle is cracked open again in the midrange when under load.

I have cleaned out the carb a couple of times using carb cleaner and airline and have never seen any muck in there, i have been advised not to oil my filter just to grease inside the airbox, i also have greased around the back mudguard/top of airbox to stop water ingress and it has a one size bigger main jet to try and get more fuel thro' to cool it down

Any mods have been recommended by Kev at Birketts (uk importers), any ideas guys?

p.s it also dont like to start from cold, one kick with choke if you miss that its choke off fuel off and full throttle ,Kev says this is quite normal?whats your experience? :)

Yours in anticipation

Brad.

If Kev says this is quite normal then my bike must be knackered! I bought it new three years ago and have never had trouble starting it except at the SSDT. I suspect the fuel at the SSDT was to blame, apparently it is mixed at 50:1? Anyway, choke on and two kicks, maybe three. Thats it! Can't understand why its doing what its doing though, strange one that.

Out of all the bikes i've owned my 03 sy250 took ages for the fan to start running even in hot weather. The thermostate (poss heat sensor) i think is located directly under the Rad, its wires hang exposed and are in the firing line of the front wheel. What i done to protect these wires was to cut a twist grip in half and slide it over the wires - sorry i don't have a picture, but the bikes fan always worked and the bike never boiled over. Your bikes hot running could be down to an air lock in the water system, or what i've just said. I'm assuming you Rad is not clogged with mud? My bike started almost ever time hot or cold first kick.

First one first, Boof, glad to hear yours is good, at least i know this isnt normal

Spud, i have checked and refilled the cooling system, no probs. the bike has never boiled over i know it may sound daft but it just feels hot the front pipe is absolutely 'kin scorchin, the rad aint blocked ....

Charlie, these things are on my list to do, thank you

thanks lads, i am not saying your ideas are wrong im kind of hoping either i have missed something or someone comes up with something we(my buddies and i)havent already planned to check, Thanks again, Brad. :)

p.s Doug, this is one of things i have already checked but am going to check again.thanks

Edited by lastplacebrad

Thanks guys, have found the problem, the fan stops working at higher rpm so we think it is either the little black box controller thingy or when i have taken the lights off i have taken out too many wires, further investigation should have this sorted ready for a play at the weekend. :)

Brad.

Edited by lastplacebrad

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah ta, had taken the regulator off when i stripped the lights off and when the fan kicked in and the bike was revved the fan stopped!?, fitted it back on and hey presto back to as good as new !! <_<

By the way a big thanks to Kev at Birketts for all his help an absolute top bloke and didnt even laugh(too much)when we figured out it was me that had messed up (er again) :D

• 6 months later...

I'm just stripping the lights on my 04 sy250. Is the regulator the black cylindrical unit that clips on the sub frame? Would be much easier sorting this with a wiring diagram but I couldnt find anyone who had one.

Cheers.

I'm just stripping the lights on my 04 sy250. Is the regulator the black cylindrical unit that clips on the sub frame? Would be much easier sorting this with a wiring diagram but I couldnt find anyone who had one.

Cheers.

YES DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES REMOVE IT!! it will screw up your bike, possibly big time its a huge no no!!

Just to be clear what I,m asking; this is the "condensor/smoother," as it's described in the parts book, that sits next to the air box, rather than the regulator which sits on the frame behind the CDI. It has one black & one red wire connected. A previous post stated that this is a capacitor for the lights only and that it can be removed. So is this wrong and do I need to keep this condensor unit in the system or is it just the regulator I need to worry about?

Cheers.

Just to be clear what I,m asking; this is the "condensor/smoother," as it's described in the parts book, that sits next to the air box, rather than the regulator which sits on the frame behind the CDI. It has one black & one red wire connected. A previous post stated that this is a capacitor for the lights only and that it can be removed. So is this wrong and do I need to keep this condensor unit in the system or is it just the regulator I need to worry about?

Cheers.

Its the black round thingy on the ally bit roond the airbox i never touched the other bit, i know what it said on here before!, if you follow the previous advice you wont do yer bike very much good at all and birketts will give you some right stick fer been a pillock!! :D

Edited by lastplacebrad