Silkoline

stuessenhigh

Hi all,

Just dug my dads Aprilia CLimber out of the shed for my annual terrified ride on the beast!

Cleaned carb up etc , and first ride went fine...then on the second ride, the carby was playing up.

DOnt think it could have got dirty that quick eh??

I'd used some 2 stroke oil that had been in the shed (already openend bottle) for over a year...just wondered if that is the culprit, maybe its gone off??..

I will of course give the carb another clean anyway, and I guess I should chuck that old bottle of Silkolene and start with a new one?

Being a tight bugger, I just dont wanna chuck an almost full bottle of 2T away.

SO.....should I chuck it or shouldnt I??? :):(

I had to have a 6 month old engine rebuilt because of silkolene oil gumming up the internals, The Gas Gas main dealer told me never to use this oil as he was tgetting sick of rebuilding engines that had been run on it!

Gas Gas dealer getting sick of rebuilding engines ! I thought it was par for course for GG dealers to rebuild engines :D

Run Silkolene in all my two stroke bikes with no major problems, certainly no gumming up of engine internals.

Hiya..

mmm..interesting points as usual..but I AM gonna bin that SIlkolene anyway...(just got a thing about it now)...it even LOOKS too thick/gummy

Was only really using it 'cause it was in the shed at the time. Will let you know if theres any noticeable difference with the Repsol I just bought :D

• 4 weeks later...

I going to have to disappoint you guys about your prejudices against certain brands of oil.

"Silkolene" is a brand of the "Fuchs" oil company (so is "Century Oil"). They operate a very modern state of the art lubricant blending and packing facility in Stoke on Trent. Irrespective of the name on the bottle, there is a likelyhood that if the oil was blended and packed in the UK, then it went through that plant in Stoke. (Caveat, some of the big names have their own plants, Mobil in Birkenhead for example) The base oils and additives are bought on the open market from the oil majors and are thus to "industry" standards.

Furthermore, if the blend being made on a certain day happens to be for "two stroke oil" then the packing line will run off exactly the same oil into the packaging of several different brand names. From Silkolene to (say for example) Halfords own brand.

So it is possible that the exact same oil you prefer is also available in a package that you don't prefer.

How do I know this? In my "day job" I have known the Plant in Stoke on Trent since about 1992.

I asked GasGas uk a question about my bike, and the guy at GasGas said this

" Silkolene gums all the piston rings in & sticks everything together, this can make your engine knock a little when the bike is cold, when it gets warm usually the rings free off in there grooves & the engine stops rattling....."

Ive been using the Silkolene that says it uses new technology to increase performance (and it also has a sticker from MCN agreeing) and ive found it to be really good. My bikes a rattly old thing, and the new oil doesnt make a difference here, but the power is perfect.

So i really dont know who to believe!

That's very easy to answer! Believe me, I've seen what I describe above with my own eyes. Modern lubricants have never been as good as they are now. Base oils have never been better, additive packages are very sophisticated. Lubricants are all made to comply with industry (API) standards and the room for huge variance from the standards simply isn't there. Most of the tales of lube oil trouble is urban myth. Use Silkolene (or any other you choose) lube oil with confidence.

Regarding shelf life, all oil oxidises. However, kept at a reasonable temperature in a sealed (opaque) bottle, the shelf life should run into years.

• 2 weeks later...
Furthermore, if the blend being made on a certain day happens to be for "two stroke oil" then the packing line will run off exactly the same oil into the packaging of several different brand names.  From Silkolene to (say for example) Halfords own brand.

So Steve, if I am understanding you correctly you are saying that they package "the exact" same basestock and additive package in all brands labels at this facility? How many brand names would they produce at this facility?