Montesa

lewis

this is a question to all 4rt owners ,do you think the mont feels heavier when you get in a bit of trouble in a section than other bikes youve rode, see thing is i really want 4rt but at every trial ive been to ive hardly seen any monts let alone 4rt ,it seems round here gas gas is the most popular but then people say they fall to bits after a year same with the sherco ,so why do you think the monts arent so popular seeing as there meant to be bullet proof,surely if its a weight thing montesa could shave a bit of weight off,i dont know just seems a shame you hardly see any or maybe its just down here in devon , at the moment im riding beta 200 which im trying to like i meen theres a lot going for it ,its definately improved my riding but it just hasnt got that wow factor . i will be getting a new bike i just dont know what one yet ,any words of advice would be usefull.

Most of my experience other than on my 4rt is on a Sherco 2.9, although I owned a Gas Gas 300 pro for awhile. The Sherco has been very durable for the record. Although I think my 4rt does feel slightly heavier, it makes up for it with improved handling and feel. The front comes up readily, and like anything it is a matter of getting accustomed to it. Since my hopping is very limited I can't really speak to that, but for floaters, steps, etc it feels nimble and solid simultaneously. I put pegs that are 3/4" back on both the Sherco and Montesa, but this is mostly a personal preference thing. The pegs significantly altered the feel, so this is an option that would allow you to tailor things to what you prefer. Good luck in your decision.

Regards,

Wardo

i dont notice the weight difference of the 4rt as you just get used to it, however when i do get in to trouble in a section you go back to trying to ride it like 2 stroke, which is a habit hard to get out off. :D but they are bullet proof and a brilliant bike, but i think its the price that puts most people off the most! as they are a bit more expensive, but you only get what you pay for mate. <_<

Time to repeat what I've said before. The 4RT is without doubt, the most enjoyable bike I've ever owned - but, it's not the best trials bike in the world, that's probably a Gas Gas or a Beta. However, in a national trial I reckon I'm good enough for 30th to 50th place depending on the number of riders and their abilities. However, if I was on a Beta or other comparable two stroke, I might squeeze into 25th/45th place. But the biggest joy of all is riding the Mont, it's absolutely fantastic. It's very powerful, tremendous on climbs, great on rocks, particularly flat, slippery rocks and only becomes a handful due to my inherant lack of fitness when it wants to keep going when I'm half a yard behind it.

As for maintenance, and the crap somebody says about keeping it simple.Listen, all you do is wash it. There's no carb to adjust and the engine runs in an identical fashion all the time, every time, no matter what the weather. Somebody asked me the other day would I go back to a two stroke. Frankly, no I wouldn't.

Let me put it this way. I'm told the world's best selling outboard engine these days (for boats) is a fuel injected, four valve, water-cooled, OHC four stroke engine, made by ---- Honda!. Now if my Mont breaks down on a mountainside, no problem, but if the outboard engine breaks down five miles out to sea with a force nine storm brewing, that's a bigger problem than me stuck on the moors. So what's the problem with trialing an engine like this.

On the road nothing else can live with it, Monts have the best wheels, the best build quality, excellent parts service and sensible prices, good suspension, but of course it's a touch heavier. So what!

I too can't believe why there aren't more about, but that's other riders' loss, not mine, I've got one. And before you think I'm getting a free bike, I buy mine and all the parts (not that it needs much) just like you do.

My mate has just bought a Raga replica and after one trial he's had to ring Gas Gas to get a bigger flywheel for it to calm it down. At the Lakes last week a number of Betas retired with ignition problems. In this year's Scottish 49 4RTs started and 48 finished. The one that was retired was because the rider had taken enough pinishment after the Pre 65 and three days of the main trial, so effectively, it was a 100% finish.

I'll say it just once more. It's brilliant and I can't believe that anybody would regret buying one. However why listen to me, I only started trialing in 1963.

Lewis

I second what hillary said.

Also as I have stated before in other posts, I think this is the best built bike out there bar none. My only frustration as far as parts are concerned is the front wheel bearings. I need to replace them. Normally when I get a new bike I pop the seals off the bearings and put a mix of antiseize and grease in there. I evidently forgot this on this bike and now I will be replacing the bearings.

The things that I changed were for my comfort only. The fenders break too easy but in all fairness I broke gasgas fenders pretty easy too.

Maintain it then kick it and ride never misses a beat

Now the weight issue. My previous bike was an 04 raga replica while it was lighter it didnt track through rocks and logs near as predictable as the 4rt.

When you are in trouble the 4rt feels heavier--- because it is!! However the bikes weigh 160 some odd pounds and for me I have no problems wrestling it around. 6ft 185lbs of out of shape flab!!!

All in all I like it so much that I am keeping mine another year (at least) I normally get a new bike each year-not because I need one or ride that much --I simply want one each year. Montesa got it pretty right the first time so no need for me to get a new one!! Thats probably the best promotion I can giv e the bike.

Get one and you will love it!!

Did it make me a better rider---- nope but neither will the other bikes. Does the bike entice me to want to ride it-absolutely!! Will my scores go down-for me yes because the 4rt excels in the areas that I enjoy. So get one and ride on.