Which Was The Best?

marky g

Some clubs have a seperate class, as far as I'm aware you can't use them in Pre 65 or Twin Shock classes. I tend to think that a rider is up against it to a certain degree if he/she choses to ride an air-cooled mono against the modern bikes. Would it be better to run an air-cooled class alongside the Pre 65 and Twin Shock classes? I think it could work.

The ACU do a good classic series with a class for aircooled monos...did a few local rounds last year very good it was too.

Forget riding withthe pre65 brigade...too stuck up there own arses and the class will probably die out with them.

I do think there should be more t/s and aircooled mono trails...but seeing as I've just sold my REV3 today and bought a TY mono I would say that wouldn't I :)

Forget riding withthe pre65 brigade...too stuck up there own arses and the class will probably die out with them.

This is definately NOT the case North of the border.

The guys who ride P65 bikes in Scotland enjoy their trials and are heavily involved in the running of the trials clubs.

There is no distinction of 'Us' and Them up here, you will see a rider on a P65 bike riding the same sections as as someone on the latest tricked up all singing, all dancing Gas Gas and more importantly riding round with them.

I'm pretty sure Boofont will back me on this one.

Would it be better to run an air-cooled class alongside the Pre 65 and Twin Shock classes? I think it could work.

Locally it would suit me since 99% of the time I am the only guy out there on an aircooled mono (and its not a 2 stroke!) I am quite happy riding an older bike in a 'modern' trial - perhaps because it gives me an excuse for my bad scores.

Perhaps if a class was run it would drag a few more older bikes out of the woodwork - or 'Big Johns' garage???

Edited by g4321

"This is definately NOT the case North of the border.

The guys who ride P65 bikes in Scotland enjoy their trials and are heavily involved in the running of the trials clubs."

Glad to hear it G4321, I was refering the skinny cockney type's who like to hear the sound of their own voices spring to mind :) ....I know quite a few of the older gents in the game locally and there all good sticks :D

Edited by Marky G

Just a thought, what would you do with the Scorpa SY125/175F? Its air cooled but got a modern set up.

I rode my SY125 also in the mono class in one event.....funny thing is, modern trials slag it off for having outdated suspension (mine was non racing model) and not enough power and airccoled mono guys think you've got an unfair advantage.... :)

Edited by Marky G

• 4 weeks later...
Depends what you base your opinion on. If it is on longevity and ridabilty ....snip

On that basis certainly not the Yam. Yes they werer reliable etc (I had one and loved it) BUT the Honda 1986 TLR250R-G 4 stroke six speeder mono is bombproof. Just change that XR400R type oil filter and keep the headstock air cleaner washed and ride and ride and ride. Many have over 10,000 miles on without a cover off, save for clutch springs. I'm a fan in case you couldn't tell...

It's a 4T after all;)

2T Beamish..well I nipped mine up 3 times in one day on Bel Ray in the SSDT. Finished eventually witha silver though...scuse my old boy reminiscing:)