My 2001 Montesa Will Not Start

mikeg

The bikes been laid up for about 8 months while I fitted new wheel bearing,suspension bushes,headstock bearings,chain & sprockets and overhauld the brakes ? So thought I would decoke the cylinder head & top of piston,which I did & fitted new head gasket,torqued down ok then fitted new front pipe. Removed the carburettor & stripped & cleaned, removed reed valve & fitted new boyesen super stock reeds type ssft 124, refitted all ok, fitted new ngk BR6ES spark plug and started the bike it took about 8 kicks to start it,I let it warm up & then stopped it, came to start it 3 days later but with no joy no matter what I tried it would not start ! So I did a compression test which showed a reading of 180 psi which I think is ok ? When I took the spark plug out there was no fuel on it which I thought there would be after using the choke and all the kicking I had done, it seems the petrol is not getting into the combustion chamber ? The petrol adjuster screw is 1 1/2 turns out,hope I have given enough information for you to help me out , as I have run out of ideas why it won't start? Thanks

You already answered you own question no fuel. Turn on the petcock, throw the bike on the ground. Jump up and down on it a couple of times. Pick it back up right. Did some fuel dribble out on the floor? If yes, it will start right up. If no, see if gas is coming out of the petcock. If it is, pull the carb back apart.

• Like 1

I remember those joyful times of forgetting to reconnect the fuel pipe before putting the tank back on..... Good memories of my 315!

Also, I think its possible to put the floats in upside down on those funny carburettor thingys, keeping the float valve shut.

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone who replied, I'd already fitted the longer fuel pipe for the reasons suggested, but jrsunt was spot on the float valves were upside down so refitted them correctly now working perfect :thumbup: Thanks again.

• Like 2