Crank Balancing

ausy300pro

On a one cylinder engine, the balance factor is built in at the factory, if you wanted to change the balance factor, by drilling crank and fitting either lead, heavy metal or expleted urainium thereby altering the counter weight opposite the reciprocating parts, then your knowledge or that of your balancer on recipricating factors, must be at the cutting edge of technology. Best bet would be just to make sure crankshaft is true and that the crankpin is intact.

• 3 weeks later...

what is your goal?

If it is to run totally smooth, can't happen in a one cylidner engine. Theoretically, anything less than 6 cylinders can't be balanced, but 90 degree V twins, 90d V4, and inlne 4 are pretty close, except for some higher frequency second order vibrations.

As greeves noted, the balance factor just defines how much of the piston is counterweighted on the crank. If the piston weight is addded to crank, it becomes 100% balanced in the vertical direction (piston goes up, crank weight goes down), but now totally out of balance front to rear (counterweight going front to rear but no piston motion in that direction). So the balance factor just is some arbitrary point of the lesser of two evils, determineed by frame reactions, and how it feels to the riders. some compromise feels the best, so it may be worth doing especially to make sure its true in line. Just have realistic expectations for what you are getting.

every one knows someone, whose brother in law heard of someone who had a neighbor with a Triumph/Harley/Ducati he could balance a nickel on the crankcase. Must be the same never found place the 250 mpg carburetors are stored.

k

I think everyone has missed the point a little what I initially meant was is the balancing as done at the factory consistently right, I.E. is every set of flywheels, con-rods etc balanced for the engine it will be used in, there seems to be big differences in how smooth the gas gas engines run some of them are like sewing machines and others like gold stars. p.s. I know the smaller engines are inherently smoother, there are differences (noticeable) in same capacity engines, or is it possible this is down to runout rather than balance.

Edited by ausy300pro