Tyre Wear.

trial bike

= super skills and a twinshock Bou? Sorry for winding up but it was so obvious.

It really depends to the underground and yes in classic trials it doesn't matters so much, the radial tires came first in the beginning 80's and were firstly only available for works riders. With the TY mono the new Michelin radial tire was available for the public in W and S version, these tires changed the riding style completly in trials.

W = winter = temp. under 17°C

S = summer = temp. over 17°C

Anyway the benefits between a very good or a decent trials tire when new are also obvious on a twin shock bike the way the carcasse is build (diagonal or radial inforcement makes a huge difference) and what rubber mixture is used really makes a difference. 

Still 75% is up to the rider and with a tire that sticks more to ground even on slippery and wet surfaces gives you more confidence.

I actually had a new set of Dunlaps ready to be mounted and ran out of time. I do not think the new tires would have made a difference in my score, and yes we had a little mud as the sections were following a canyon with a stream.

I would agree with dabster in that where you are based ie the type of surface you are normally riding on can have an impact. On the often slick surfaces we get, a good edge to the block can make a difference. My personal experience is that the improved grip drops off relatively quickly as the edge initially wears. After that it a much more gradual drop in grip. 

At the end of the day unless your really trying to win I would only change the tyre when it starts to get hard or really badly rounded. The tyre then becomes just another element of that search for grip that is most heavily influenced by your riding. 

I run tubed IRC tyres, they stay on my AJS until the knobs start to actually come away from the carcass, its not then that grip becomes a problem,its just the thought of explaining a 66 yr old trials bike with no lights etc,to a policeman. If it was only used in club trials I think I'd let them start falling off before changing. As it is I recycle them onto my ratty old TY250 which does the odd evening or fun trial.

Neither bike has problems with grip,especially the AJS which I run at about 8psi, just because my concern is for compression punctures.

• Like 2