If Climbers Can Do It....

jtt

;) Couldn't be much worse that putting it on the rim! Those who don't like to change tires need not apply. There's two streetbike tires inside that one. Once you've changed one of these, everything else is cake :wacko:

Do you only go round left hand corners on the ice then ?

noticed you only done the outside on the L/H side

regards

N

Very observant Nick! ;) ...and yes Pete, it is bit of an experiment.

I've found the trials tires work very well on Enduro bikes for most conditions in the woods and trails, so figured, since I was building up some new ice racing tires, I'd give one a try. I had a couple laying around with slashed sideways anyways.

We ride on an ice oval. Heading out Sunday for the first run of the winter season, so will see how it works out then.

Just thought folks might get a kick out of a new use for X11s :wacko:

I was out on the lake ice last weekend twice. Mostly bare ice, some snow spots. Non studded tires grip surprisingly well if below 25F, almost not at all above 25F. Just doing tight turns and 8's is super practice for me with clutch brake & throttle control.

Other more adventuresome friends do the studded ice racing. Serious hp and speeds there.

k

I found trials tires too soft for ice racing with studs(knobs flex too much).  Most racers around here purchase ice racing tires rather than make them. http://www.rockcentralcycle.com/ice.html

I've used tires of the same design as the RockCentral ones, back years ago. They've been building them in Quebec since the early 80s, and they are awesome, however somewhat expensive. They're a MUST if racing competitively though.

I figured the trials tire would be too soft too, but was shocked to find how good it worked. I think most of the flex is taken out by the 1.5" screws through the 2 liners. They're plenty good for what we're doing, about 90% of what the "real" tires are like.