First Trials Bycycle

pitley

When my son was 6 I had him on a little 16" BMX bike I picked up new and cheap. I then welded a loop of EMT on the bottom of the frame to act as a skidplate. I also made him up a small seat out of a seatpost, more EMT and some foam to give him some more clearance. I also added in some hand brakes for the front.

He still thrashes around on that thing occasionally. Amazing how much use it has seen.

If you ask me I wouldn't bother with a Monty, not yet anyway, yes, nice bike and well built...but hardly ideal for a 6 year old to learn on, even on the monty 'kids' trial bike...very overpriced for what it is.

I have been riding for about 4 or 5 months now on an 05 t-pro, although only last week I snapped the frame, luckily, still on warrenty, though snapping frames are a common problem with the t-pro.

However, other onza's are great for learning on and also suitable for a decent rider; I understand onza do a kids bike...and knowing monty, no doubt the onza will be cheaper, and just as good for a younger beginner.

I now ride a GU frame, much much better than the pro...but thats another topic. :ph34r:

I bought my lad a Monty 205 PR at 5.5 yrs - he found it hard to ride at first as the cranks are very much longer than on 'normal' kiddies bikes. Also he used to sit down to push off, so had to get used to standing and starting.

He's finally got the hang of it now, and its a great little bike. A bit expensive, but supposed to last through to 8-9 years. I changed the pedals back to plastic, the bear traps that come as standard were making a very lasting impression on his shins.

Cleanbikes were very helpful.