Ty175 Exhaust Identification

smokey125

My dad is sorting out his TY175 and we're looking at exhaust options. He has the original system and what we think is a WES system. This comprises a front section which fits to an alloy mid box without the extra end can. It looks similar to the system on the Sammy Miller site but the front section is not stainless. Does anyone know if these used to be made with a plain steel front section?

The header section could be what Sammy Miller products sold many years ago, or it might be home-made. The SM products item was made from pre-formed bends like yours is and like many home-made headers were/are. I would tend to think it might be home-made because from what is visible in the photos, the radius of the bend that goes over the head is too big to be the old SM Products item.

Yes the main section is a WES with a home-made heat shield. Can't tell from your photos if it is the one-piece WES or the front part of the two-piece WES

Looks like a fairly non-standard frame. Any chance of photos taken side-on, showing the whole bike? That will also show the shape of the exhaust header better

The frame is a one off mono shock we believe made by WASP best know for their sidecar motorcross frames. It was a prototype/concept that only ever got loosely put together somewhere around the mid 80's. The idea being much the same as the Majesty in that a standard TY would provide all the main donor parts. My dad started to put it together as a step up from a Whitehawk 80 for my brother about 25 years ago. At the time there was very little choice in the terms of mid sized bikes in th UK. As with all projects like this where you are finishing off someone else half stared idea it hit a fair few problems and before it was completed my brother had moved onto one of the first 125 aircooled GasGas. My dad is in the process of putting everything back onto the original twin shock frame to use that as a run around/ trail bike.

The pipe was definitely brought but we can't remember from where. The heat shield was made in house.

I'll try and get some wider shots but might struggle for space.

The bike is too loud especially for the local trails. If we can identify the header as being the WES/Sammy Miler one then we should be able transfer that to the twin shock frame with a new two piece rear pipe which will hopefully be quieter!

It's a one piece unit on there at present.

We had thought of that was well. By the time we've brought the end can and materials to modify both bits to make it fit we will have spent almost as much as the two piece system!

To be honest my dads getting on a bit now and is not so interested in doing a project just wants a bike he can manage, he can start the TY without any problems.

• Like 1