New (to Me ) Swm Jumbo 350

rob w

I bought this 1983 Jumbo last weekend. I plan on using it for twinshock competition next year. The fellow I bought it from has two other Jumbos, which I believe, are the only other ones in Australia. One is in bits and is missing the frame. Everything else is there, including plastics, swingarm and bolts, just no frame. Apparently it became a backyard monoshock project and then vanished into the never never. :ph34r: Does anyone have one they can spare - I would love to buy it from you.

I would like to fit wider footpegs, but the kickstarter will not clear them. I believe that an Aprilia Climber kickstarter will fit and will clear my wider pegs. Any one know if this is true?

I plan to ride in a trial in a few weeks then strip it down and pretty it up. It is generally in excellent condition, but could use a fresh coat of paint and a polish. Apparently Martin Mathews is having the rear guard reproduced - I can't wait. Anyone know anything I should watch out for?

I have reproduced the front upper chain slider (the one with the SWM logo) in bright yellow urethane. It realy stands out. I don't know if these fit other models but if any one would like one let me know.

Thanks

post-957-1131606129.jpg

post-957-1131606551.jpg

Edited by Rob W

Rob

I forgot to mention the other day that a Jumbo motor will fit straight into a TL320 frame. You will need to either alter the exhaust system or chop the 2 strutts above the swinging arm spindle out of the frame, but knowing how you Aussies can adapt anything...this should proove an easy project!!!!!

TL 320 frames are a lot easier to find, or you could slot the motor into something else, I am sure t-shock250 could give you a few ideas, as he has a Jumbo Aprilia project on the go.

Cheers

Martin

Rob

Welcome to the Oz twinshock trials fraternity. Great news.

Does this mean you have given up the idea of getting a KTM trials bike?

David

Thanks David. You know I was more excited about getting the Jumbo than I was about getting the O5 Beta. Oh I love the seat. Sure the Beta was nice, but I can get one of them any old time. Twinshock is much better because I can have two (or three.....or ten) :D .

re the KTM....nope, never, still dedicated to the cause. In fact I remain hopeful in the face of clear hopelessness. Apparently KTM only made two specials for Walter luft to ride. Which means I have two chances :ph34r: I even considered cutting up an MXer frame and fabricating the rest, but the ozKTM crowd threatened to lynch me :o .

Anyway, see you at the twinshock masters on a real bike.

a Jumbo motor will fit straight into a TL320 frame.

Um. OK. So anybody got a spare 320 frame? Martin does all the other running gear fit? Does the nice alloy swingarm bolt on. Whats the geometry like? I have been thinking about the Jumbos exhaust system. How do you clean it, and does the silencer have packing in it ( I will get around to working this out for myself, but for now...??) There has got to be kilos to be saved there (and torque to be gained) by fabricating an alloy sytem and smoothing out the kinks?? Anyone played with this.

Sorry. Too many questions - I'll go now.

Rob

Forks, suspension, swinging arm, and motor will bolt straight onto the TL320. Carb will fit, also the front pipe and rear silencer, not sure on the airbox or tank/seat (although 320 tank and seat will be ok).

Jumbo middle silencer has packing, its a cut it and weld job to repack. The rear silencers have only a small amount of packing, and changing it makes little difference!!!! A few people have used alloy rear silencers with reasonable success, early Gas gas, TY yam or Aprilia units are worth a try.

Will have a look for a 320 frame and let you know :ph34r:

Martin

PS Didnt Felix Kranstrover ride the works KTM trials bike? I thought Walter Lufts bike was a home made effort.

PS Didnt Felix Kranstrover ride the works KTM trials bike? I thought Walter Lufts bike was a home made effort.

I have no idea??? All I have seen is picture in the back of Bernie Schreiber's

Book (did I spell that correctly?) with Walter riding. I am still waiting on a copy of the KTM history book to arrive, which is written in Austrian. Apparently there is a picture of the trials bike in it, but I willhave to get it translated before I can establish if there is anything in the text about it.

Big John I would love to know how Walter went about making his KTM trials, or if he knows anything about factory efforts. Despite the lynching threats from my vmx compatriates I still think it would be fun to replicate one. Don't go to too much trouble, but if he is amenable then I would appreciate it. Thanks

Rob

Welcome to the Oz twinshock trials fraternity. Great news.

Does this mean you have given up the idea of getting a KTM trials bike?

David

Thanks David. You know I was more excited about getting the Jumbo than I was about getting the O5 Beta. Oh I love the seat. Sure the Beta was nice, but I can get one of them any old time. Twinshock is much better because I can have two (or three.....or ten) :D .

re the KTM....nope, never, still dedicated to the cause. In fact I remain hopeful in the face of clear hopelessness. Apparently KTM only made two specials for Walter luft to ride. Which means I have two chances :ph34r: I even considered cutting up an MXer frame and fabricating the rest, but the ozKTM crowd threatened to lynch me :o .

Anyway, see you at the twinshock masters on a real bike.