04 290 Ignition Set Up.

john.b

Running the above bike with standard ignition settings and fast throttle. In dry conditions grip is not a problem but struggle now it has turned wet. What's the best solution engine wise for more traction? Retard ignition or fit two base gaskets. Not keen on changing to slow throttle tubes as like the reaction of normal one.

Never had a problem finding grip on my old mont but find grip harder to find on Sherco. Seem to have to pull third to find grip where Scorpa and Beta lads are using second. Any help would be appreciated.

I am absolutely sure its riding technique, I have had the same problem every year when the weather changes here in the south, and basically you need to get your weight well back and then some. my guess is the normal riding position is not helped by the way you have probably been spoiled by the Montesa. Once perfected you should be fine. have you tried an IRC?

Sftening a motor will not increase grip one jot, and when you get a deep or burn through section any softening will work against you.

Tend to agree Nigel, been using Michelin and I am going to get an IRC this week but thought I'd ask for advice as I just wondered if normal practice was to soften power. Always seems to grip like a tractor in 3rd and 4th but always have problems in 1st and 2nd in up and down bankings and around trees in muddy woods type sections. This is the first time I've ridden this bike in really muddy conditions as missed last winter due to injury.

Like I say I feel I am riding 3rd gear and really fighting for grip where should be using 2nd. Others seem to be able to forget the grip side of the problem and just concentrate on the section. Might try raising gearing for winter. Tried being smooth on throttle etc but still struggle.I am going to dealers this week so will chat with him about it.

( Bet he says try 06 model)

For my 04 290 I fitted the slow throttle (though I understand if your're not keen on this) a VX plug and the 05 front pipe. The resulting extra smoothness in delivery feels like it has helped me keep it moving under control in the snot, and not have to resort to 3/4 gear burns. My jetting had also been experimented with when I bought the bike (second hand) - I reset to stock jetting for the best results for me. Even after trying a few bikes at the BVM test I still thing there a few bikes as smooth as this.

Thanks for your comments guys. I think I'll try the easy solutions first. I'll try the slow throttle tube and the Vx plug, combined with a new IRC tyre it should hopefully make a difference. EDIT. Just had a look at my bike and there seems to be a 5mm spacer between inlet rubber and engine already fitted. My bike was a late 04 model originally new in March 04. If my bike has already had the mods done then your right Nigel, it's got to be me who's sh**. ;)

May be 3rd is going to have to be my muddy going type gear after all. I suppose I keep comparing with my old mont, then it was 1st for most things, 2nd if a bit slippy and 3rd for big hill climbs. I'll try these mods and give the IRC a go.If that does n't work then I'll be back out in May when the sun comes out and grips not a problem! :D

Edited by John.B

Been to dealer and he thinks bike may be too advanced as it also has a symptom of kicking back a lot on starting. Getting it checked this week. I always felt like Arkwright and Granville on 'Open all Hours' being attacked by the till. I was starting to fear kicking it off.