1St Time Observing.....everyone Should Give It Ago!

iconic558

Couldn't get into the Dabbers Twinshock's round in Norfolk yesterday so my mate and myself shared a section, it was such a great experience all round.

Great laugh with the guys (and girls) , all whom were very appreciative, learnt a lot just eyeballing the different skill levels regarding lines, section walking, body English, eyelines, seeing how a section changes over time, the amount of erm unrequested gardening that goes on and just how decently set up suspension makes things that much easier.

Also got an idea at just how tough some of the calls are for the observer's too.

Everyone should give it a go, ideally before ya first actual trial to see just how things work.

Big thanks to the Dabbers too, great trial as usual. The use of punchcards makes it so much more personal, getting a chance to chat with riders and eyeball tbe bikes up close.

Edited by iconic558
  • Like 4

As an aside it was cold and damp all day. Strong Bultaco and Fantic field and the usual TY frenzy.

The Bultaco's seemed to be the hot ticket on our section, running sweetly and finding grip, whilst the Fantic's seemed to be struggling with carburation seemingly being a little more fickle with the conditions and the TYs...well they all seemed to have death rattles!

Edited by iconic558
  • Like 1

I always enjoy observing. Done quite a lot of it lately waiting for a sprained wrist to repair and found myself looking forward to events nearly as much as when I was riding!

Like you mentioned good fun and an ideal opportunity to watch how long and to what degree different riders look at a section.

Also makes you appreciate the wide range of rider abilities and that at the end of the day it's all about having a fun day out.

As far as tough decisions go I always mark slightly in the riders favour to keep things in the spirit of the day especially with the none stop rule but my decision is final and I expect riders to except it and carry on. 

I totally agree! I worked 3 Vintage Trials events, then the World Round - when they came to Rhode Island; even before I bought my first Trials bike. Found a used GasGas TXT 280 Modern Trials bike to learn the sport & since upgraded to a newer Beta Evo 300 after competing in 22 Events over the past 14 months.

There is so much to be learned from this sport - just by Observing. I'm glad my local Organization "NETA" has the "Work Credit" requirement rule to help staff with Checkers at the events - which gives the riders an opportunity to watch and learn from others. My girlfriend doesn't even ride and she is hooked helping to Observe and punch the loop cards; while getting an opportunity to watch up close.